Job Listing: Web Developer
MARINERS' MUSEUM - NEWPORT NEWS, VA
The Web Developer serves as managing content editor, designer, programmer, and technical administrator for the Museum’s web software and systems. The web developer is the critical point of contact for all public-facing web properties and projects, ensuring timely updates whiles monitoring uptime and security, and maintaining industry and regulatory compliance.
- Assume responsibility for current web sites (mainly run by WordPress) and web projects by maintaining accuracy, timeliness, editorial quality, security, versioning, and effectiveness
- Monitor web support tickets, and make updates to web content per staff requests
- Perform web system maintenance, run software and plugin updates, monitor performance, and implement back-up/restore routines, during off-hours when necessary
- Provide WordPress technical training for staff, including authors on the Museum Blog
- Manage Git version control (Bitbucket and GitHub) for web and data coding projects in public and private repositories
- Maintain Google Cloud Storage data warehouse and data sets
- Maintain knowledge of current and evolving web standards, technologies, trends, and tools
- Assist with department budget creation and oversight
- Assist with creating, updating, and maintaining department records and standard operating procedures
- Assist other departments as directed and perform other duties as assigned
Experience and Skills
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities:
- Requires strong journalistic and editorial skills with working knowledge of web legal and compliance issues (e.g., copyrights, privacy, PCI DSS, data protection, and accessibility).
- Requires strong, hands-on web management experience (e.g., managing DNS records, domain registration, SSL, and server backup routines).
- Requires experience running LAMP stacks and WHM/cPanel server admin consoles
- Requires experience installing and managing WordPress and WordPress plugin development
- Requires experience with image editing programs (e.g., Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Illustrator, etc.).
- Requires working knowledge of Search Engine Optimization (SEO) and web analytics (e.g., Google Analytics, Tag Manager, and Search Console).
- Requires strong ability to follow instructions, manage time, remember details, organize, multi-task, research, write and communicate verbally
- Requires strong, hands-on knowledge of Microsoft Windows 7 and Apple macOS
- Knowledge of and experience with the following specific tools is helpful: Elasticsearch, Laravel, Vue.js, SQL, Vagrant, OData, Leaflet, R and/or Python languages, RStudio, Tableau, and ArcGIS Desktop
- At least 3 years’ experience managing websites and web server administration
Education, Licensure, Certifications:
- Bachelor's degree or certification in web development, computer science, programming, or digital media fields is required
Conditions of Employment:
- Must be available to work during non-business hours as required
- Must be available to be on-call during non-business hours and react to emergency requests
- Must be able to pass a background check and drug screen prior to employment.