Job Listing: Visitor Services & Events Manager
Virginia Museum of Natural History - Martinsville, VA
Closes - 05/10/2021
Position Title – Visitor Services & Events Manager
Salary - $38,000/annually
Job Type - Full-Time
To learn more and apply, click here.
An exceptional opportunity in visitor services and events at the Virginia Museum of Natural History (VMNH) is now available. This is a full-time position with an excellent state benefits package.
If you meet the qualifications for Visitor Services & Events Manager, we invite you to apply to join our staff. The anticipated hiring date for this position is May 28, 2021.
The Visitor Services & Events Manager will provide direct management of the museum’s Box Office and Museum Store, while serving as the lead staff coordinator for museum events. These events include but are not limited to science festivals, lectures, receptions, special programs, and the annual Thomas Jefferson Awards and gala. The Visitor Services & Events Manager will work with museum leaders to ensure the highest level of customer service in all events and programs.
50% Manage Box Office and Museum Store
- Direct management of all Box Office and Museum Store staff; duties include but are not limited to scheduling, timesheets, training and regular performance reviews
- The Visitor Services & Events Manager will work in the Box Office and Museum Store as needed
- Work with fiscal office to oversee retail purchasing in accordance with state guidelines
- Complete and maintain all Box Office and Museum Store paperwork and records in accordance with state guidelines
- In coordination with museum leaders, develop and implement retail programs based on museum industry best practices
- Serve as the point-person for museum events, including but not limited to science festivals, lectures, receptions, special programs, and the annual Thomas Jefferson Awards and gala
- Maintain event budgets
- Work with other staff and board members on the planning, implementation and evaluation of events
- Work with museum leaders on the delegation of specific events tasks to staff and board members
- Work with volunteer coordinator to provide support for events
- Work with museum leaders to develop new events and programs
5% Other duties as assigned
- Associate’s degree or equivalent experience
- Retail experience
- Staff supervisory experience
- Experience coordinating events or projects
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience
- Experience using point-of-sale systems
- Retail or purchasing experience within a state agency
- Retail and events management experience
- Retail merchandising experience
Special Instructions to Applicants
Only online applications are accepted. In addition to the online application, applicants must submit a cover letter and resume in addition to the state application. These documents may be attached to the online application.
Closing date for applications is May 10, 2021.
Application review will begin May 11, 2021. If you have questions about the position or the application process, please contact the Human Resources Office at 276-634-4158.
The Virginia Museum of Natural History complies with E-Verify, which is an internet based system operated by the Department of Homeland Security in partnership with the Social Security Administration that allows participating employers to electronically verify the employment eligibility of their newly hired employees.
We are an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants are afforded equal opportunities without regard to race, sex, color, national origin,