Job Listing: Visitor Services Assistant, Part-Time
National D-Day Memorial Foundation - Bedford, VA
Closes - Open until filled.
Position Title – Visitor Services Assistant, Part-Time
Salary - $9.50/hour
Job Type - Part-Time
To learn more and apply, click here.
The National D-Day Memorial is an outdoor facility, open seven (7) days per week. Evening, weekend, and holiday hours are required for this position. A Visitor Services Assistant (VSA) supports the organizational mission by performing a variety of duties related to overall operations under the supervision of the Director of Site Operations. This is an entry level, customer service position requiring superior interpersonal and customer service skills, and the ability to adapt as necessary to various situations. Duties include but are not limited to providing information to visitors, ensuring valid entry into the Memorial site, providing retail assistance, coordinating and conducting tours, as well as performing administrative tasks as assigned by management. The VSA must exhibit the ability to exercise sound judgment, work independently as well as with others, and offer flexibility in regard to scheduling demands. All duties are to be performed in compliance with state and federal law, as well as the policies and procedures of the National D-Day Memorial Foundation. This position is not suitable for telecommuting.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
GENERAL SITE OPERATIONS
· Arrive to work on time and work as scheduled.
· Maintain records related to operational activities for management and prepare written reports using a computer or other method approved by management.
· Ensure daily reports, and other appropriate documentation, are processed to facilitate accurate record keeping.
· (Note: Management has the right to review record keeping and remove excess cash as deemed necessary throughout the workday.)
· Perform general office duties including, but not limited to, answering phones, routine correspondence, and providing information as necessary to visitors.
· Inform Director of Site Operations, or his/her designee, regarding requests for office supplies and other materials as needed.
· Conduct tours and help with special events as needed.
· Follow safety guidelines for the site and advise others regarding same.
· Enforce site rules and regulations under the guidance of management.
· Participate in both the preparation for and conduct of Memorial events.
· Conduct general troubleshooting on a daily basis as well as before, during, and after events as necessary to ensure adequate support in regard to educational initiatives.
· Assist with set-up/tear-down/clean-up for assigned events.
· Assist with flag maintenance as requested.
· Maintain a positive relationship with volunteers; assist with scheduling and maintenance of volunteer records as assigned.
· Assist in the maintenance of the Memorial grounds and perform a daily check, when assigned, to ensure the building and grounds are clean, neat, and safe for visitors, volunteers, and employees.
· Perform duties associated with emergency or weather-related closure.
· Notify maintenance staff if pool water effects are not operating or if there are foreign objects and debris, etc.
· Maintain a general knowledge of all systems located at the Memorial site to assist with troubleshooting as necessary.
· Assist in training staff and volunteers as requested by management
· Greet visitors warmly.
· Process visitor ticket and tour purchases using a POS cash register, accepting appropriate payment and making accurate change for entry into the Memorial.
· Answer questions regarding pricing and tour options as well as membership opportunities.
· Distribute informational materials and provide direction.
· Record daily receipts, maintain accurate records through POS system, and report discrepancies to management.
· Complete daily report and verify totals.
· Operate 2-way hand held radio.
· Notify site staff of emergency situations or special needs.
· Notify site staff of both scheduled and unscheduled group arrivals.
· Coordinate the sale and scheduling of cart tours and wheelchair needs with site staff.
RETAIL SALES / GIFT STORE
· Assist in retail facility as assigned by management.
· Greet customers upon entry to the store, respond promptly to customer needs, and assist with merchandise selection to promote sales.
· Process customer purchase using a POS cash register, accept appropriate payment, and make accurate change for purchases.
· Field incoming calls using appropriate greeting.
· Respond appropriately to email and voice mail as requested by management.
· Run business related errands as needed or assigned.
· Coordinate schedule with management and co-workers to ensure adequate coverage.
- Assist in the maintenance of accurate records such as those related to sales, bookkeeping, purchase requests, inventory control, and opening/closing procedures.
- Assist manager with purchasing by monitoring stock levels and communicating merchandise needs.
· Assist in maintenance of stock by receiving merchandise, verifying totals then tagging and displaying merchandise for sale.
· Assist in the set up of aesthetically pleasing displays and keep shelves adequately stocked.
· Assist manager in creating signage for displays.
· Assist manager in timely shipment of phone orders.
· In the event of a power outage or equipment failure, process customer purchase using a back-up method such as a solar calculator or paper and pencil to calculate retail amount, discount as appropriate, current sales tax, and change if required; or by obtaining complete credit card information.
· Attend Foundation functions as assigned to provide assistance with set-up/clean-up, staff Memorial Store, and/or assist with other event related activities as needed.
- Provide day-to-day maintenance support for office equipment to include replacing paper, changing toner and printer cartridges, and troubleshooting equipment malfunctions as needed or requested.
- Arrange maintenance support for equipment issues requiring technical assistance as requested by management.
· Keep shelves, counters, and furniture clean to ensure aesthetically pleasant presentation of merchandise.