Job Listing: Visitor & Education Center Assistant Manager
FORT MONROE AUTHORITY - HAMPTON, VA
Open until filled
Salary: $31,300-$35,100 plus benefits
The Fort Monroe Authority is looking for an Assistant Manager for our new visitor center to join our team. Come work in the beautiful historic environment of Fort Monroe! This position will include full state employee benefits to include health benefits; membership in the Virginia Retirement System; 12 paid holidays; annual leave; sick leave; group life insurance; and all other related Commonwealth of
Virginia employee benefits.
1. Assist with the daily operation of the FMVEC with an emphasis on creating a positive visitor experience.
2. Assist with the management of visitor needs and concerns.
3. Collaborate with the Casemate Museum staff on FMVEC orientation and launch of tour groups. Support the National Park Service under the guidance of the VEC Manager.
4. Ability to share information on Fort Monroe’s events, venues and policies as pertaining to the site and the surrounding area.
5. Interpret exhibits and lead tours as needed.
6. Assist with the management of part-time employees working at the FMVEC and the coordination of the
Casemate Museum and FMVEC volunteer corps.
7. Other duties as assigned.
A minimum of high school graduate with college experience preferred in hospitality, tourism, history, education, customer service or related field.
Prior job experience in the following fields is preferred: serving as a docent in a museum or cultural heritage institution; administrative/ clerical office experience, sales-experience in a retail setting; or experience with visitor engagement in the tourism industry.
Extremely well organized and exceptional time management skills.
Self-starter with ability to work independently.
Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written.
A passion for history, education and public relations
Experience with managing and coordinating volunteers.
Knowledge of Fort Monroe’s general information to include information specific to the site and history a plus.
Proficient in Microsoft Office and related software.
Technical skills with interactive exhibits a plus.