Job Listing: Vice President for Operations & CFO
Virginia Museum of History & Culture - Richmond, VA
Closes - Open until filled.
Position Title – Vice President for Operations & CFO
Salary - Based on experience.
Job Type - Full-Time
To learn more and apply, click here.
The Vice President for Operations & CFO serves as a part of the VMHC Executive Team, reports directly to the President & CEO and is responsible for the effective financial management of the organization as well as general operations and maintenance of VMHC and Virginia House. As a member of the Executive Team, the position contributes to the development of policies and programs that support VMHC's mission, vision and values.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Prepare and monitor VMHC's annual operating budget and when necessary, capital improvement or project budgets, to ensure success, efficiency, sustainability and accuracy
- Oversee the organization's Finance team and all its financial transactions, disbursements and related activities to ensure that obligations are met in a timely manner, revenue and expenses are properly recorded and all financial business is conducted honestly, professionally and without error or wrongdoing
- Establish internal check and control policies and procedures and oversee institutional annual audits and compliance activities
- Oversee all banking, investment and related vendor relationships and activities
- Oversee institutional investments and endowment performance by coordinating closely with investment partners, tracking fair market value of the endowment and any related funds, and report and allocate income and capital gains as appropriate
- Oversee all financial reporting software and systems
- Develop and generate management reports in accordance with generally accepted accounting principles and the financial needs of the organization
- Coordinate closely with Advancement to properly manage charitable giving to the VMHC, and administer all restricted grants including budgeting, forecasting and reporting
- Oversee the general operation, use and efficiency of all company facilities, properties and assets
- Effectively manage all Facilities Services, Security and Information Technology staff
- Proactively manage the overall care and maintenance of the VMHC and lead efforts to regularly improve energy efficiency and make timely renovations and repairs
Other Critical Duties
- Coordinate closely with Human Resources for the effective management of personnel programs offered by the VMHC, such as employee compensation strategy, fringe benefit analysis, and retirement programs and plans
- Oversee institution-wide contractor and vendor management and documentation
- Liaise with the Board of Trustees, including the Finance & Investment Committee, Buildings & Grounds Committee and Audit Committee
- Stay abreast of and responsive to all federal, state and local tax regulations, laws and ordinances that affect the organization
- Coordinate with the President & CEO to monitor and improve safety preparedness and overall institutional resilience
- Participate in emergency management and planning as needed
- Coordinate use of outside legal counsel when necessary
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities Necessary:
- Strong strategic and treasury managerial skills
- Ability to communicate effectively with Board of Trustees and staff
- Knowledge of general ledger processing and preparation of financial statements
Education & Experience Requirements:
- Bachelor's degree in accounting or equivalent education and experience; Master's degree preferred
- CPA certification strongly preferred
- Extensive forecasting, budgetary and analytical experience
- Four to six years' supervisory experience
- Four to six years' experience with automated accounting systems
If interested in this job opportunity, please apply and upload your cover letter and resume to https://virginiahistory.isolvedhire.com/jobsearch/?job_board_classification=Job_Opportunities.
The Virginia Museum of History & Culture is owned and operated by the Virginia Historical Society ' a private, non-profit organization established in 1831. The historical society is the oldest cultural organization in Virginia, and one of the oldest and most distinguished history organizations in the nation. For use in its state history museum and its renowned research library, the historical society cares for a collection of nearly nine million items representing the ever-evolving story of Virginia.
The Virginia Historical Society is an Equal Opportunity Employer.