Job Listing: Tour Guide
Agecroft Hall & Gardens - Richmond, VA
Closes - Open until filled.
Position Title – Tour Guide
Salary - Commensurate with experience.
Job Type - Part-Time
To learn more and apply, click here.
Reports To: Manager of Tour Services
Job Summary: Leads guided tours of Agecroft’s house and gardens. Primary emphasis is on the material culture and social history of a gentry manor house in 16th and 17th century England. Provides excellent customer service at all points of contact including phone inquiries, tickets sales, tour experience and gift shop.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
- Greet visitors on the phone and on site with a welcoming, pleasant demeanor. Offer professional and courteous customer service guests throughout their visit from arrival through tour conclusion.
- Deliver historically accurate information in a clear and concise manner to groups of visitors of all ages. Use strong public speaking skills to adjust tour delivery style to needs of visitors.
- Main emphasis is life in a manor house in Tudor/Stuart England, but attention is also given to Agecroft’s 20th century history in Virginia and its gardens.
- Facilitate sales in the gift shop and operate the point-of-sale computer system.
- Assist with periodic administrative tasks such as recording daily attendance and assisting in the collection and balancing of monies at the end of the day.
- Participate in regularly scheduled department meetings.
- Assist with set up and clean up for Special Events and other activities when requested.
- Engage in continuous education to increase knowledge of 16th/17th century British history, art and culture as well as interpretive strategies.
- Maintain open communication with fellow tour guides and supervisor, in efforts to create a pleasant environment for visitors and co-workers.
- Perform additional duties beyond the scope of above, as requested by immediate supervisor.
Excellent public speaking and interpersonal skills combined with a desire to work with the public required. Interest in 16th & 17th century England, ability to work well with a team, and punctuality essential. Basic computer skills required. College degree preferred. Sense of humor a plus.
Requires standing and walking for up to 1 ½ hours at a time, as well as an ability to speak clearly and audibly to a group. Ability to lift up to 20 pounds. Flexible hours. Regular weekend work and occasional evening, and holiday work required. This is a part-time position.
How to apply:
Please send a cover letter and resume to Ms. Emily Jones at email@example.com.
Agecroft Hall & Gardens is an equal opportunity employer.