Job Listing: Stewardship Assistant
MARINERS' MUSEUM & PARK - NEWPORT NEWS, VA
The Stewardship Assistant is responsible for maintaining the quality and integrity of the donor database so that it is a robust and reliable resource that accurately records donor information and informs donor cultivation and stewardship strategy. Under the general direction of the Director of Individual Philanthropy, the Stewardship Assistant will work closely with the Philanthropy Coordinator, the Database and Data Integrity Manager, and the Finance Office to support development initiatives. This position is a major contributor to the department’s donor cultivation and stewardship efforts and provides the foundation for all activity in the Development Department.
- General administration of gift processing: process donations and membership fees, scan documents, and upload into database.
- Maintain donor data in Altru that accurately details the full record of donor transactions and relationships.
- Write, edit, customize and upload thank you letters as well as other stewardship letters into database every quarter, and as needed.
- Administer all aspects of donor and member acknowledgment process: Prepare, mail, and record acknowledgements to donors and members in a timely fashion.
- Fulfill Prospect Research requests, wealth screenings and update records with critical information to maintain the individual giving portfolios of the President and CEO, the Director of Individual Philanthropy, and others.
- Create and record Prospect Plans
- Produce lists for donor events (individual, membership, corporate, foundations, other).
- Assist with event registration in the database for Development Programs.
- Ensure the scheduling, tracking, mailing lists and invoicing for pledge reminders is completed.
- Maintain filing system and archived donor/donation records.
- Produce detailed weekly and monthly reports for individual, foundation, and corporate giving and other simple queries.
- Communicate professionally and respectfully with donors to support the proper stewardship of the relationship and specific gifts.
- Assist the Philanthropy Coordinator with the fulfillment of donor benefits according to the level and type of gift.
- Support and attend individual, member and corporate events, as needed.
- Assist with other database and department projects/events, as needed.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities:
Excellent writing and communications skills.
Attention to detail and accuracy; proof reading skills.
Must be able to maintain confidentiality of information when working with donor and member sensitive information.
Initiative, resourcefulness, and the ability to work both independently and collaboratively, and manage multiple priorities in a fast-paced environment.
Ability to think strategically and creatively, including the ability to initiate and set priorities.
Proficient computer skills specifically in Microsoft Excel, Word, and using mail merges.
High level of analytical, problem solving, and customer service skills.
Ability to successfully manage multiple projects simultaneously.
Ability to travel locally to attend meetings and events.
Ability to work nights and weekends.
2-3 years experience working for a non-profit with specific focus in donor stewardship and development is highly desirable.
Experience using ALTRU, Raiser’s Edge, Convio, Donor Pro or other comparable databases is preferred.
Education, Licensure, Certifications:
Associates Degree required, Bachelors Degree preferred.
The Mariners' Museum offers a comprehensive benefits package for regular full-time staff, and their eligible dependents which includes medical and dental insurance (cost-sharing involved) as well as term life insurance, long-term disability insurance, flexible spending accounts, and a 403(b) pension plan. In addition, paid vacation, sick leave, and holiday pay is provided to all regular full-time staff.
The Mariners' Museum is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action/Equal Access employer and actively encourages applications from minorities, women, individuals with disabilities, and veterans.