Job Listing: State Records Archivist
Library of Virginia - Richmond, VA
Closes - 7/30/2021 11:59 PM ET
Position Title – State Records Archivist
Salary - $42,000-$50,000/annually
Job Type - Full-Time
To learn more and apply, click here.
This is an exempt level position and is eligible for limited teleworking after the first six months of employment.
- Identifying the content, arrangement, research potential, extent, and date range of paper and electronic state records collections and conducting necessary research to identify persons, places, events, and agencies documented in the records;
- Creating EAD, MARC and other finding-aids that facilitates public understanding and access to the records;
- Performing routine evaluation and conservation (repair/mending) of paper archival collections;
- Working with colleagues to evaluate best processing practices/options and assist in developing and implementing archival processing procedures for electronic records;
- Building archival collections of state government Web sites using Archive-It (https://archive-it.org/); and
- Contributing to agency outreach efforts, including speaking to stakeholder groups and at professional conferences and meetings, as well as providing content for the Library’s social media outlets and blog, the UncommonWealth (https://uncommonwealth.virginiamemory.com/).
50% – Arrangement and Description
Working knowledge of and experience with:
- Archival standards, theory, and practice;
- Archival automation, using EAD for finding aids and online cataloging using MARC format, and applying DACS to both;
- State government records;
- Legal processes and state and local history;
- Archival conservation and preservation guidelines;
- Electronic records preservation and processing; and
- Digital collection management.
Demonstrated ability to:
- Examine, analyze, arrange, and describe collections accurately;
- Communicate effectively, orally and in writing;
- Work as an effective member of a team;
- Work with accuracy and within expected timeframes; and
- Use relevant online databases and tools, such as Alma and Infolinx.
- Master’s degree in U.S. History, Archival Studies, Library Science, or related field as well as training in digital collection management and/or electronic records preservation and processing; and
- Working knowledge and experience with Virginia legal processes and state and local history.
Employment verification and reference checks, to include current/previous supervisors, will be conducted.
Sponsorship will not be provided for this position now or in the future. Confirmation of eligibility to work will be required at time of hire.
Yellow/Blue Cards – If you have been affected by Policy 1.30 Layoff as a state employee and possess a valid Interagency Placement Screening Form (Yellow Form) or a Preferential Hiring Card (Blue Card), you must submit this document BEFORE the closing date for this position. The document may be scanned and uploaded in the same manner as uploading a cover letter or resume during the application process, or it may be faxed to (804) 692-3587. Please include your name and the position number on the fax cover sheet and call to confirm receipt.
Fax, e-mail or mail applications will not be accepted. The online state application must contain all required information and fully respond to questions to be considered for this job opportunity. For assistance or computer access, please visit your local Virginia Employment Office or contact email@example.com or 804-692-3586.
In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), the Library of Virginia will provide, if requested, reasonable accommodations to applicants in order to provide access to the application and/or interview process. If you require accommodations, please contact the Office of Human Resources at (804) 692-3586 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.