Job Listing: Special Events Manager
Taubman Museum of Art - Roanoke, VA
The Facility Rental Manager is responsible for realizing museum facility rentals from contract to production. The duties include; identifying prospective clients, conducting appealing facility tours, timely communication with potential and signed clients, managing vendors, audio visual set up with in-house system, overseeing custodial and catering set up, break down, and running every logistical detail prior to, during and post event. The Manager will work with their supervisor and the Marketing Department to meet or exceed annual sales goals. This position requires high energy, a friendly disposition, savvy problem solving skills, admin competencies, strong sales skills, and keen sense of organization and customer service.
The Manager works an average 40 hr. flexible schedule that regularly includes evening and weekend hours.
Job Duties and Responsibilities:
- Responsible for meeting or exceeding annual income projections for facility rentals
- Primary point of contact for all facility rental business at the museum
- Coordinate with the facilities, development, visitor services, and curatorial departments as they relate to all external facility rentals.
- Coordinates logistics with caterers, florists, photographers, performers, sound and light technicians, and other vendors for all external facility rentals.
- Communicates facility rental needs with outside vendors: Morning Brew Coffee Co. and Blue Ridge Catering and internal staff for the museum shop
- Ensures that all vendors, museum staff, and volunteers comply with the terms of executed contracts and with all rules and regulations guiding the use of museum facilities.
- Ensures all facility rental revenue is collected, acknowledged, and properly recorded in the database.
- Handles financial logistics for facility rentals- works with finance department to generate invoices, ensures deposits are recorded accurately, and outstanding balances are followed up on.
- Back up for internal events coordinator.
- Works directly with clients to coordinate the logistical design of their events to ensure that all museum rules and regulations, security and collection protection properly followed.
- Responsible for negotiating, implementing and overseeing all contracts with external clients.
- Develops and manages the facility rental budget; including timelines, goals, deliverables and expense / income forecasting, and submits all necessary purchase orders.
- Provides monthly revenue tracking reports for facility rentals.
- Responsible for preparing facility rental floorplans and communicating needs with custodial, catering staff, security, and other museum departments as applicable.
- Ensures all signed contracts are properly filed and recoded on the shared museum program calendar and attends weekly logistics meetings to communicate cross departmentally.
- Attends regular meetings and shares; list of rental tours/ prospects and signed contract clientele to development team for sponsor / donor/ member prospecting
- Build relationships through development strategies to ensure return business and client referrals
- Defers to Development Team on proposal development enhancements for major donors, sponsors and museum partners.
- Responsible for AV and lighting of facility rentals with house system
- Leads social media efforts and website content on behalf facility rentals
- Manages the marketing of museum space rentals using a wide array of promotional techniques to secure individual, corporate, and institutional contracts booklet
- Prospects and solicits new business through networking at community events, building relationships with regional partners, and one-on-one outreach, for the distribution of professionally prepared materials
- Solicits new clients by hosting open houses, participating in wedding crawl, offering facility tours, and preparing advertising media in coordination with the museum’s marketing department.
- Occasionally required to assist with special event set up such as; chairs, linens, etc.
- Serves as manager on duty when on-site for facility rentals. Ensures all museum staff working events adhere to their event service responsibilities.
- Manages calendar of coverage for cross-staffing support and ensures coverage is appropriately debriefed on event needs
- Primary point of contact for logistics and staffing of complimentary rentals that are a part of sponsor corporate packages
- Co-lead on logistics for Women’s Luncheon Fundraiser
- Works evenings and / or weekends for fundraising events
- Primary lead for internal AV displays at fundraising events, serves as back up for AV needs of other development department activities.
- Performs other tasks that may be assigned by supervisor
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to work well under pressure and multi-task in a fast paced, intense environment
- High Energy
- Strong Negotiation Skills
- Excellent Problem Solving Skills
- Very strong communication, organizational, interpersonal and public speaking skills
- Must be poised, personable, and maintain a professional appearance
- Possess excellent diplomatic skills and a positive attitude
- Requires excellent attention to detail, experience in event planning and ability to work cross-functionally.
- Must be able to meet deadlines, problem solve and speak and write in a clear and understandable manner for internal/external relations.
- Produce content for print, website and social media in a clear and concise manner
- Understand basic research methodologies
- Ability to work effectively with clients, staff, volunteers, donors, and the public.
- Must be a self-starter and enthusiastic with the ability to motivate and lead others
Training, Education and Experience:
- Must possess a Bachelor’s degree and at least 4 years’ experience in event planning
- Must have a track record of strong sales experience and proven customer service results
- Must have experience with contract administration
- Must have experience working with catering services and external vendors
- Must be proficient in MS Office and experience with databases
- Must understand audio/visual equipment
- Must possess a valid Virginia State driver’s license and hold a clear driving record.
Physical Demands and Work Environment:
- Must be able to work nights, weekends and holidays as contracted. This position works a flexible schedule and is the on-site Manager for the duration of all facility rentals and as support staff for museum fundraisers and cultivation events.
- Must be able to lift at least 20 pounds.
- Must be able to stand/walk for up to 12 hours.
- Health insurance
- Dental insurance
- Vision insurance
- Retirement plan
- Paid time off
- Flexible schedule
- Monday to Friday
Questions and application materials can be directed to Jackie Weddle at email@example.com.