Job Listing: Special Events Coordinator - Corporate Events
The Mariners' Museum - Newport News, VA
Closes - Open until filled.
Position Title – Special Events Coordinator - Corporate Events
Salary - $40,000/annually
Job Type - Full-Time
To learn more and apply, click here.
The Special Events Coordinator is an integral member of the Advancement Department and is responsible for contributing to our overall goals which are to promote The Mariners’ Museum’s mission and to provide engaging experiences for individuals visiting the Museum. The Special Events Coordinator- Corporate Events position is specifically responsible for the success of corporate, military, park rentals, and other similar events. This position shares responsibility for processing inquiries, venue tours, and working any scheduled external and internal events with the Special Events Coordinator- Wedding & Private Events. Additionally, the Corporate Events Coordinator is the lead for managing the Museum’s calendar for internal events and meetings as well as coordinating the operational logistics.
This is a full-time, exempt position with a salary of $40,000. Candidates must submit a Cover Letter in order to be considered.
Special Events Operations
- Responsible for responding to all rental inquiries (phone, email, walk-in).
- Responsible for scheduling and completing venue tours.
- Manage the venue rental packages by creating and refining the Museum’s event offerings.
- Serve as the Museum representative for executing all special event venue rentals.
Corporate Events Management
- Responsible for managing the planning process for all corporate and business type event rentals. This may include:
- Writing contracts
- Creating invoices
- Creating room layouts
- Coordinating site visits
- Communicate special events needs and requirements cross-departmentally.
- Including custodial, security, technology, digital services, grounds, etc.
- Responsible for assisting with the scheduling and planning for all internal events and meetings.
- Maintain all corporate event related data to ensure accurate revenue tracking and reports.
Special Events Capacity Building
- Participate in select bridal shows, networking events, and sales calls/vendor meetings.
- Seek to build relationships with local and regional event industry partners.
Support the Advancement Department
- Assist with the execution of group tours.
- Assist with the coordination of stewardship events.
- Support internal events (meetings, receptions, Museum events).
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities:
- Must be highly organized and detail-oriented with excellent communications skills.
- Ability to think strategically, resourcefully, and innovatively, with a positive attitude.
- Must be able to work in a fast-paced environment, manage multiple tasks and priorities simultaneously.
- Maintain working knowledge of local and regional markets, and the wedding + events industry.
Education and Experience:
- A High School diploma or equivalent is required, a Bachelor's Degree is preferred.
- Previous work experience in customer service and/or hospitality is required.
- Previous work experience in event management is strongly preferred.
Conditions of Employment:
- Must be able to pass a background check and drug screen prior to employment.
- Must be able to consistently work non-traditional hours (nights, weekends, and holidays as necessary).
- Must be able to travel for local (daylong) meetings and trade shows.