Job Listing: Senior Director of Marketing and Public Relations
Jamestown-Yorktown Foundation - Williamsburg, VA
TITLE: Senior Director of Marketing and Public Relations
SALARY: $145,000-165,000 plus State Benefit Package
The Jamestown-Yorktown Foundation is seeking an exceptional leader for our Marketing and Public Relations team. Specifically, this person must be an innovative, cutting-edge leader ready to plan, develop, and grow a comprehensive marketing and advertising program with a focus on increasing paid admissions and related revenue streams; and diversifying and expanding our audience reach. This person will also play a critical role in moving our museums forward as we implement a more comprehensive, and inclusive educational experience for our visitors.
The ideal candidate for this position will have a professional level of understanding of national tourism and/or the museum industry - including advertising, direct sales, promotions, sponsorships, market research, online ticketing, social media, media relations, website marketing, and overall management of all areas of marketing.
Must Have Demonstrated Ability To:
- Create and implement a new strategic vision and implement powerful brand strategies,
- Generate increased public awareness across a wide variety of platforms and media outlets to broaden brand reach and increase sales in paid visitation and related revenue streams,
- Develop, negotiate, and implement effective and exciting marketing, social media and advertising programs for all areas of marketing and sales,
- Think creatively and find new and innovative revenue sources utilizing the museums’ physical and intellectual resources and local properties,
- Collaborate with Museum Operations to market and highlight special events, exhibits, and individual programs, as well as market new and innovative changes to overall programming and education,
- Work effectively and collaboratively with clients, Board leadership, marketing partners, tourism industry colleagues, vendors, and JYF staff at all levels,
- Manage a team of marketing professionals to lead and inspire them to reach the common goals and realize the overall vision of the team,
- Utilize knowledge of public relations and media management, preferably at both the local and national levels, to enhance and grow the brand,
- Provide a working knowledge of research data sources to enhance museum and tourism profitability, and brand awareness,
- Develop, implement, and manage departmental budgets, including adjustments based on revenue levels, expenditures, and variances as they occur.
- Comply with all federal, state, and local regulations, and provide direction and guidance for appropriate changes to marketing strategy to Executive Director and board members,
- Utilize organizational and time management skills to consistently meet deadlines, and manage the department effectively.
- Bachelor’s degree in Marketing, Management, Tourism Development, Business Administration or Related-fields strongly preferred,
- Minimum of ten years’ experience in museum or tourism-related marketing management strongly preferred.
The Jamestown Yorktown Foundation is committed creating and maintaining a culture of diversity, inclusion, acceptance, and respect for all persons regardless of race, gender, age, national origin, religion, or sexual orientation through fair and equal employment for all.
TO APPLY: You must fully complete a Commonwealth of Virginia employment application – For more information and to apply please go to jobs.virginia.gov.
SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS - PLEASE NOTE: All full-time and part-time paid staff of the Jamestown-Yorktown Foundation are required to complete and sign an Application for Employment. The employee must certify that they have never been convicted of a violation included in VA Code §22.1-296.1-C which states “that (i) he has not been convicted of a felony or any offense involving the sexual molestation or physical or sexual abuse or rape of a child; and (ii) whether he has been convicted of a crime of moral turpitude.”
In addition, the Foundation completes both name and sex registry background checks through Virginia State Police on all paid and core volunteer staff. Foundation staff must also be eligible to work in the United States which is verified by using the E-Verify system through U.S. Department of Homeland Security.