Job Listing: Sales Director
Virginia Living Museum - Newport News, VA
Closes - Open until filled.
Position Title – Sales Director
Salary - Based on experience.
Job Type - Full-Time
For more info and to apply: click here
General Statement of Duties
The Sales Director provides the leadership to maximize revenue by leading the sales of museum experiences, products and rental spaces. The director also imagines and leads the development of marketable and exceptional programming and experiences to support the Museum’s mission. This is accomplished in coordination with all Museum departments and staff. This position recognizes the capacity to achieve greater results by integrating skilled volunteers and leveraging their diverse knowledge and abilities. The position is under the direct supervision of the Chief Operating Officer.
- Bachelor’s degree required, Business/Management or Marketing or equivalent.
- Three years’ experience in management, sales/customer service and budget preparation.
- Creative, results driven, high performer with service orientation
- Sales oriented. Ability to sell the museum, museum activities, and sound alternatives to fit varying situations and circumstances.
- Energetic, enthusiastic personality, able to take initiative and work independently and follow up with potential clients.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, interpersonal and facilitation skills with multiple levels of external partners, customers and internal staff.
- Energetic, constructive attitude with ability to view opportunities for a variety of perspectives.
- Thorough understanding of and demonstrated success in motivating people and performance.
- Experience in managing staff, including hiring, training and evaluating performance.
- Must be able to remain calm, make sound decisions and provide clear directions in a crisis situation.
- Ability to work independently, displays sound judgment, discernment and discretion.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Be a positive, enthusiastic representative of the Virginia Living Museum.
- Enhances the guest experience:
- Leads the development of exceptional programming and experiences
- Actively promotes a guest-centric culture throughout the museum
- Ensures the museum store has merchandise to delight the guests and the community
- Drives museum revenue efforts.
- Leads and cultivates the group sales program for the Museum. Maximizing revenue by meeting or exceeding annual rental and group sales goals, developing and implementing strategies to increase tourist interest and visitation to further the Museum’s mission. This includes familiarization (FAM) tours, trade shows and marketplaces. Involves some overnight traveling.
- Develops, fosters, and manages the Museum’s facility rental business for private and corporate functions by fostering strong professional relationships with regional and national tour companies, associations and special interest groups – area Convention and Visitors Bureaus, other museums and area hotels to maximize Museum’s contacts and visitation. Professionally handles all contracting issues for rentals including, but not limited to, preparing contracts and handling money transactions. Works within an approved pricing framework and gets senior management approval for contracts. Keeps detail records of contracted events including revenue, expenses and profits.
- Develops monitors and evaluates the retail pricing structure throughout the museum. This includes tickets, events, rentals, memberships, experiences, and items sold in the museum store. Gives expert advice to Senior Leadership.
- Develops sales strategies and sets internal revenue goals for all revenue generators.
- Provides leadership in developing museum wide programming to enhance the guest experience, including additional guest engagement opportunities and various guests celebrations such as birthday parties. Stays current with offerings from other like organizations. Works with the Marketing Department to determine the appropriate marketing to solicit clients and visitors.
- Develop annual plan of departmental goals and objectives, prepares and adheres to department annual operating budget.
- Hire, train, supervise and schedule staff including the Museum Store Buyer and Event Coordinator. Leads by example and provides feedback on staff performance using the Museum’s performance appraisal system. Follows museum safety rules and procedures; ensure staff is following as well.
- Strategically utilizes and manages volunteers and their applicable skills to strengthen the Museum’s mission and commitment to the community.
- Other duties as assigned.
Essential Job Requirements
- Work schedule flexibility to travel and manage events on weekends and evenings.
- Must be able to hear and speak clearly.
- Physical requirements include medium work, exerting up to 40 pounds of force occasionally, and/or up to 30 pounds of force frequently, and/or up to 10 pounds of force constantly to move objects.
- Must be able stand and move about on foot to accomplish tasks.
- Must be able to stoop, kneel, crouch, crawl, reach, push, pull, lift, grasp, feel, and utilize repetitive motions.
- Must have close visual acuity to operate a motor vehicle and perform activities such as: preparing and analyzing data, transcribing, viewing a computer, and extensive reading.
- The position is subject to environmental conditions for activities occurring indoors and outdoors.
Supervision Exercised: Museum Store Buyer, Event Coordinator & Event Staff
This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by this employee. The Sales Director will be required to follow any other instructions and to perform any other related duties as assigned by the appropriate Supervisor/Director. The Virginia Living Museum reserves the right to update, revise or change the job description and related duties at any time.
Qualified applicants please submit a VLM application, cover letter, resume and references. No phone calls, please.