Job Listing: Public Safety Officer (Art Museum)
Colonial Williamsburg Foundation - Williamsburg, VA
Closes - Open until filled
Position Title – Public Safety Officer (Art Museum)
Salary - $14.00/hour
Job Type - Full-time
For more info and to apply, click here.
WORK TO BE PERFORMED:
- Perform routine patrol activities to include, but not limited to:
- Conduct routine patrols and inspections of all Colonial Williamsburg buildings, grounds, parking lots, etc., including but not limited to the art museums, historic area properties, hotels, golf courses, restaurants, retail establishments, outlying properties, etc.
- Document and record unusual conditions, situations, or events, and provide timely and accurate information to management.
- Monitor safety conditions, and report deficiencies to management.
- Provide assistance and backup to other Public Safety employees.
- Monitor and provide emergency assistance to the public.
- Perform and follow documented opening and closing procedures in designated buildings as required.
- Detection and preliminary investigation of crimes/unusual activities, which may include surveillance of individuals vehicles or locations; interviewing victims, suspects, and witnesses; identification and collection of property and evidence; and documenting and reporting findings to the supervisor in charge of the shift.
- Maintain order/mediate disputes and quell disturbances.
- Administer first aid, CPR and use of AED including moving/assisting incapacitated persons.
- Enforce Foundation rules and regulations
- Control access to restricted areas, when necessary.
- Relieve communications operators, as required, by becoming familiar with all alarm monitoring systems, communications equipment, logs, records, and CAD system.
- Escort employees and guests as needed.
- Setup crowd/traffic/parking control barriers/equipment
- Maintain open communications to develop relationships and direct partnerships between employees, guests, and residents to reduce the potential for crime.
- Other duties as assigned
General supervision from the Master Sergeant. In the Master Sergeant’s absence, the Public Safety Patrol Officer will report to the Sergeant in charge of the shift.
- Must have excellent public contact skills, including the ability to deal with people under stressful circumstances.
- Must have excellent communications skills.
- Must be able to read, write and prepare reports using a computer.
- Must be able to exercise sound judgment under stress.
- Must have completed high school/GED.
- Must not have a history of criminal convictions, except minor traffic violations.
- Must be able to qualify annually in CPR, first aid and the use of an AED.
- Must be able to work irregular/extended work hours (including frequently fluctuating work hours and rotating shift work).
- Must be able to work holidays, evenings, and weekends.
- As an essential employee, must be able to report to work/stay at work during poor weather, storm events, and/or emergency conditions.
Must pass pre-employment substance abuse testing and is subject to random alcohol and controlled substance testing.
Two years public contact experience; two years of college, one-year experience with Colonial Williamsburg; current certification for CPR, first aid, and use of an AED.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS: Must be able to walk, sit or stand for extended periods of time
- Must be able to perform work such as:
- Climbing stairs and ladders
- Pushing hard-to-move objects by hand
- Squat, Crouch or kneel (e.g., to collect evidence, inspect cases/exhibits, etc.).
- Must be able to work in varying weather conditions, including storm events, extreme heat and cold, rain, snow, etc.
- Must be able to work and to come in daily contact with pollen and dust.
- Must be able to work in areas such as:
- Slippery surfaces (e.g., wet floors, wet pavement/brick sidewalks, etc.)
- Uneven surfaces (e.g., cobblestones, brick sidewalks, gravel surfaces, etc.)
- Poor lighting (e.g., glare, night vision conditions)
- Noise (e.g., activated fire alarms, etc.)
- Faint sounds
Other poor auditory conditions (e.g., distracting background noise, telephone/radio)