Job Listing: Public Relations & Marketing Coordinator
Virginia Museum of History & Culture - Richmond, VA
Closes - Open until filled.
Position Title – Public Relations & Marketing Coordinator
Salary - $40,000/Annually
Job Type - Full-Time
For more info and to apply - click here
The Public Relations & Marketing Coordinator is responsible for the creation and implementation of the Virginia Museum of History & Culture's public relations strategy. Key to this role is the ability to effectively develop and manage trusted relationships with media outlets and influencers to secure positive publicity for the VMHC and build its Brand in the community. The Public Relations & Marketing Coordinator is responsible for proactively pitching stories to media that reflect the museum's mission and values. This role is also responsible for responding to inquiries for images and other information and for identifying, scheduling, and prepping internal subject matter experts for interviews. The Public Relations & Marketing Coordinator protects and maintains the integrity of the VMHC in all endeavors related to publicity.
In addition to earned media activities, the Public Relations & Marketing Coordinator is responsible for developing a strategic content plan and writing targeted posts to Twitter and Linked In. This position should identify ways of leveraging social channels to establish and maintain relationships with media, influencers, and tell the VMHC's story to the broader community. This role coordinates with the Manager of Digital Engagement to ensure content complements and connects across social channels.
The Public Relations & Marketing Coordinator also assists with the coordination, research, writing, and editing of articles for external publications and owned VMHC channels including the website.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Proactively identifies opportunities for media coverage through new programs, partnerships, etc.
- Develops overarching PR strategy
- Develops and maintains relationships with local and regional media and creates contact lists for specific press release distribution
- Keeps finger on the pulse of all things happening at the museum to identify newsworthy content appropriate for announcing publicly
- Writes, distributes, and follows up on press releases and media alerts on a regular basis
- Works with photographer and other departments to identify and disseminate approved media images
- Updates media regularly on upcoming schedule of events
- Regularly updates Press Center on VMHC website
- Partners with external PR agencies as needed
- Manages VMHC Twitter account focusing on driving shared content among media and influencers
- Regularly participates in PRSA and other industry forums to stay on top of new trends in the PR field
- Manages volunteers to ensure external calendar listings are regularly populated
- Monitors press clippings and produces monthly and quarterly reports showing impressions per month and overall trend data for staff and Board of Trustees
- Represents the VMHC at community events, tourism meetings, organization gatherings, etc.
- Attends holiday, weekend and evening events as needed
- Is a good steward of and advocate for the VMHC brand
- Performs other duties as assigned
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities Necessary:
- Ability to pitch media
- Ability to build relationships and network
- High degree of proactivity
- Knowledge of consumer marketing
- A solid working knowledge of social media and experience working with bloggers and influencers
- Ability to balance long term strategy with day-to-day tasks
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment, manage challenging relationships and be flexible in adjusting to press needs and schedules
- Attention to detail, accuracy, and motivation to fact-find
- Ability to maintain a high degree of professionalism in all job-related activities
- Ability to work with others as part of a team
- Enthusiasm and ability to learn new skills/problem solve
Education & Experience Requirements:
- Bachelor's degree in marketing, public relations, journalism, or a related field
- Experience in media relations, sales, or similar role requiring proactive outreach
- Strong communication skills, both oral and written
- Strong project management and organizational skills
- Experience in photography, copywriting, or graphic design a plus
If interested in this job opportunity, please apply and upload your cover letter and resume to https://virginiahistory.isolvedhire.com/jobsearch/?job_board_classification=Job_Opportunities.