Job Listing: Performing Arts Manager
Suffolk Center for Cultural Arts - Suffolk, VA
Closes - Open until filled.
Position Title – Performing Arts Manager
Salary - $35,000 - $42,000/Annually
Job Type -Full-Time
To learn more and apply, click here.
The Suffolk Center for Cultural Arts is now accepting applications for the position of Performing Arts Manager. This is a full-time position with benefits. The Performing Arts Manager is a key leader within the organization, overseeing all performances at the Center. Working closely with the Executive Director and Creative Director, this position oversees the box office and ticket sales, technical and artistic operations, and theater management. This is an exciting opportunity for someone with a love for the performing arts to be part of the creative team at the only comprehensive performing arts center in Hampton Roads. Please send your cover letter and resume to L.Costa "at" SuffolkCenter.Org. No phone calls, please. Applications received by October 15 will receive priority consideration; however, applications will be accepted until the position is filled. For more information about the Suffolk Center, please visit our website: www.suffolkcenter.org.
· Oversees all performances held at the Suffolk Center.
· Develops and manages season calendar with the Creative Director.
· Develops and tracks season/annual budget, and develops budgets and financial reports for individual performances.
· Ascertains theater needs, including lighting, sound, seating, and other equipment and capital needs.
· Identifies, schedules, and books diverse performers aligning with the Center’s mission, serving as primary liaison with artists/managers/agents, securing riders, overseeing contracts, assisting with production and back-line details, and overseeing tech needs all while working within a set budget. Serves as blockhead as needed to collaborate with presenting partners.
· Oversees all artist hospitality (including meals and hotels), meet and greets, concessions, and merchandize sales.
· Acts as house manager day of show, or coordinates house manager.
· Hires, supervises, and coordinates with box office and technical staff, including technical director, lighting and sound engineers, and technician assistants.
· Oversees box office and ticket sales.
· Works with marketing and development staff to promote performances at the Suffolk Center. Gathers all necessary marketing and showcase materials from agents and artists, and coordinates audience development initiatives.
· Works with finance staff to ensure timely and accurate payment of all performers, technical staff, and other vendors related to performances.
· Works with facilities staff to ensure the safety of guests, staff, and performers within the theater, and to ensure the professional appearance of theater facilities.
· Participates as part of the creative team across the Suffolk Center, working with education and galleries staff. Integrates performing arts programs with visual arts and educational endeavors at the Center.
· Works with Executive Director, development staff, marketing staff, and others to support fundraising efforts for programs to ensure the financial sustainability of the Center.
· Assists with special events/fundraisers at the Center when needed.
· Creates monthly board report of programming for Executive Director.
· Execute other responsibilities as determined by Creative Director.
· Background or in-depth knowledge of at least one form of performing arts, such as music, dance, and/or theater.
· Though not required, demonstrated experience working in a theater or performing arts facilities is a strong plus, including experience in ticketing, box office management, and/or theater equipment and systems.
· At least one year of management experience, including experience supervising staff.
· Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
· Demonstrated organization and time management skills.
· Flexible, practical, creative approach.
· Excellent customer service and interpersonal skills, including an ability to build relationships with artists, community partners, customers, clients, sponsors, and donors.
· Basic knowledge of marketing concepts and fundraising is a plus.
· Financial acumen, including the ability to create a budget and track expenses and sales.
· Proficiency with Microsoft Office.
· Associates or bachelor’s degree is preferred, but commensurate experience will be considered.
· Commitment to diversity, inclusion, and the Center’s mission for promoting the arts in Suffolk.
This is a full-time, permanent position within the Suffolk Center. Evening and weekend hours will be required for performances, receptions, and special events. Benefits for this position include medical and dental insurance; life insurance; paid time off for vacation, sick time, holidays, and more; and an employer match toward a SIMPLE IRA retirement plan.
To apply: Please send your cover letter and resume to L.Costa "at" SuffolkCenter.Org. No phone calls, please. Applications received by October 15 will receive priority consideration; however, applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
For more information about the Suffolk Center, please visit our website: www.suffolkcenter.org.
Statement of Inclusion and Diversity
The Suffolk Center invites applicants of all backgrounds for this position.
We believe that our mission is most effectively fulfilled through a commitment to inclusiveness as a core value and practice. We maintain that building and sustaining diversity requires an ongoing commitment to inclusion that must find full expression in our organizational culture, values, norms, and behaviors.
Throughout our work, we support diversity across all lines of difference, including age, economic circumstance, ethnicity, sex, race, range of ability, religion, sexual orientation, and gender identity/expression. We aim to lead by example, viewing and encouraging diversity as a fundamental and abiding strength of the Suffolk Center for Cultural Arts.
The Suffolk Center for Cultural Arts recognizes that its effectiveness will be enhanced, and its mission well served, when the practice of inclusion is reflected in all aspects of the organization.
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $35,000.00 - $42,000.00 per year
- 401(k) matching
- Dental insurance
- Flexible schedule
- Health insurance
- Life insurance
- Paid time off
- 8 hour shift
- Monday to Friday
- Weekend availability
Ability to commute/relocate:
- Suffolk, VA 23434: Reliably commute or planning to relocate before starting work (Preferred)