Job Listing: Part-Time Educator
Lewis Ginter Botanical Garden - Richmond, VA
Closes - Open until filled
Position Title – Part-Time Educator
Job Type - Part-Time non-exempt
Apply: Please submit cover letter, resume to Human Resources at email@example.com
Part-Time Educators are a vital part of the Youth and Family Engagement team. Educators facilitate educational programming for PK – 12 students, lead weekend and weekday drop-in programming for families, and provide support in horticultural tasks within the Children’s Garden. The typical work schedule for this position is Sunday – Wednesday, 8:00am – 2:00pm, but may shift slightly in the winter.
· As part of the YFE teaching team, facilitates nature-based learning programming for preK-12 school groups.· Performs opening procedures in the Children’s Garden as scheduled.
· Responsible for daily operations of the Children’s Garden on weekends.
· Responsible for set up, facilitation, and cleanup of weekend programming, which may include:
o Drop-in activities for families.
o Birthday parties.
o Scout programs.
· Works with YFE staff to develop and implement drop-in programming for families.
· Maintains physical spaces within the Children’s Garden:
o Ensures tidiness of activity spaces.
o Performs basic horticultural tasks (watering, weeding, planting, harvesting).
o Participates in staff workdays to support larger projects.
· Assists YFE staff with additional programming, which may include:
o Support for summer camp classes.
o Support for school group arrivals.
o Occasional teaching/support of offsite programs at partner organizations in the Richmond community.
· In the event of a lighter workload in YFE, this position may be cross-trained to support other, similar types of work throughout the Garden to ensure hours are met (such as supporting GardenFest of Lights or Guest Services staff).
· Actively participates in staff training and department meetings.
· Completes American Red Cross First Aid and CPR training.
· Occasional evening and holiday hours.
Skills and Abilities
· Demonstrated knowledge of formal and informal education principles and developmentally appropriate practices.
· Communicates effectively with diverse ages, backgrounds and all abilities.
· Works well independently and in a team environment; adaptable and solution-oriented.
· Energetic and personable; an innovative, creative thinker.
· Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including public speaking and group facilitation.
· Excellent organizational skills; self-motivated with the ability to manage goals and productivity.
· Basic gardening knowledge a plus.
· Proficiency in conversational Spanish a plus.
Each employee of Lewis Ginter Botanical Garden
· Must comply with provisions of the current Employee handbook, all published personnel policies and the requirements of their individual job descriptions.
· Must perform all duties in a manner consistent with a public garden serving multigenerational and multicultural individuals, families in accordance with directed practices and procedures.
· Must be aware of surroundings and vigilant to threats to the safety of visitors, volunteers, and staff or to security of their property, ensuring that all concerns are reported promptly.
· Must report all injuries and incidents immediately and ultimately in writing to supervisor(s) and to Human Resources.
· Must ensure compliance with all applicable federal and state laws and regulations.
· Must perform other duties as assigned by supervisor.
· Must have proof of a COVID-19 vaccine.
Physical Demands / Working Conditions
· Ability to carry up to 30 lbs.
· Ability to work outdoors in all weather conditions.
· Comfortable working in immediate proximity to general public in a safe and friendly manner.
· The position requires familiarity with all public areas of the 82-acre Garden property.
· Note: Duties described above, other duties and physical demands have been identified as essential functions as required by the Americans with Disabilities Act.
Education and Experience
· High school diploma.
· 2 years college, vocational training, or other work experience.
· Demonstrated experience with the design and delivery of innovative, creative, high quality, and developmentally appropriate programs for all ages, backgrounds and abilities.
· Experience in a garden or other nature-based learning setting a plus.