Job Listing: Park Ranger
Gloucester Parks, Recreation & Tourism - Gloucester, VA
Closes - Open until filled
Position Title – Park Ranger
Salary - $33,008 annually +/- DOQ
Job Type - Full-Time
To learn more and apply, click here.
Employee must exercise initiative and independent judgment in ensuring safety and security of parks. Employee must also exercise tact and courtesy in frequent contact with park patrons and the general public.
- Patrols the park and related facilities to enforce regulations, ensures security and public safety; maintains order and assists the public in the use of the facilities; radios for police assistance in emergencies such as serious injuries, disorderly conduct, or lost children; opens and closes parks and buildings as necessary.
- Deals with the public concerning matters of park usage; registers individuals and groups for park activities; reserves specific park areas for use by a variety of clubs and organizations or the public; prepares areas or buildings prior to event, secures area afterward.
- Inspects parks for safety and maintenance concerns; performs general maintenance of park grounds, equipment and facilities; completes tasks such as grass cutting, tree pruning, tree removal, maintaining flowerbeds, mulching playgrounds, etc.; processes work orders for more complicated maintenance needs.
- Participates in various fee collection for equipment and facility rentals, hunting and fishing licenses, and boat and canoe permits; operates a cash register; performs accounting, daily balance of receipts, and routine financial reporting.
- Promotes good public relations with citizens using the park and recreation facilities; instructs and advises park users in matters concerning flora, fauna and wildlife present in park areas.
- Opens and closes parks throughout the County. Performs a variety of duties associated with the daily custodial maintenance of park areas and facilities including grass cutting, cleaning rest rooms, picking up trash, maintaining flowerbeds, etc.
- Plans and instructs programs within and outside of Park; conducts interpretive programs for the public; assist with special events to include erecting tents, directing traffic, staffing booths, etc.
- Answers telephone, screens calls, takes messages, responds to inquiries, and refers callers to appropriate source.
- Weighs and identifies fish caught by park patrons; responds to questions on game and fisheries laws.
- Guides and directs part-time park employees, volunteers and court appointed workers as assigned; assists in training of new staff.
- Maintains activity and park attendance records, files permits and reservation requests, and performs other clerical support functions.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
High school diploma/GED.
Two (2) years of experience in park operations and maintenance work.
Any equivalent combination of training and experience which provides the required knowledge, skills and abilities.