Job Listing: Museum Store Manager
VIRGINIA LIVING MUSEUM-NEWPORT NEWS, VA
Job Description: Museum Store Manager
Status: Full Time, Exempt, 37.5 hours / Week
Department: Guest Services
General Statement of Duties
The Wild Things Museum Store Manager is responsible for maximizing revenue and providing an exceptional guest experience to support the Museum’s mission. This is accomplished in coordination with all museum departments and staff. This position is in charge of all aspects of the museum store operations from buying, merchandising, selling, and supervision of staff. This position recognizes the capacity to achieve greater results by integrating skilled volunteers and leveraging their diverse knowledge and abilities. The position is under the direct supervision of the Senior Director Guest Experience.
- Creative, results driven high performer with service orientation
- Bachelor’s degree required or equivalent
- 2 years retail sales store management experience required
- Experience in wholesale purchasing required
- Non-profit experience preferred
- Energetic, constructive attitude with ability to view opportunities from a variety of perspectives
- Outgoing, friendly, service oriented. Able to communicate enthusiasm for the museum and its programs.
- Must be bondable.
- Must have a professional appearance.
- Exceptional communication skills. Must be tactful and display discernment and discretion. Must be able to handle potential confrontational situations.
- Must be able to remain calm, make sound decisions and provide clear directions in a crisis situation.
- Ability to gracefully handle multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Must be detail oriented and extremely organized.
- Ability to merchandise products
- Strong computer competency, including a facility for understanding database functions and operational software.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Be a positive, enthusiastic representative of the Virginia Living Museum
- Provide the leadership needed to ensure a welcoming and exceptional experience for our visitors.
- Supervise the Assistant Store Manager and Sales Associates
- Strategically utilize and manage volunteers and their applicable skills to strengthen the Museum’s mission and commitment to the community.
- Purchase and in some cases, develop products to be sold in the store. This includes buying trips. Prices products and develops promotions in order to maximize revenue.
- Merchandise products and make sure the store is neat, clean and welcoming to all guests.
- Process all incoming products and maintain orderly and clean storage areas.
- Keep an inventory of all products and provides detailed sales reports. Reorders and restocks as necessary.
- Creates and manages the museum store budget and can satisfactorily address any variances as the year progresses.
- Ensures all accounting is correct and all bills are paid on time.
- Works with other departments to coordinate merchandise selection and development.
- Ensure duties required to open and close the store securely each day are performed
- Conceives and implements appropriate manning strategies for the Wild Things Museum Store.
- Assists the Guest Services Manager with safety and security issues when requested. Understands emergency and safety procedures.
- Responsible for all monies collected in the store.
- Ensures personnel are properly trained and supervised. Ensures performance appraisals are timely and job descriptions current.
- Utilizes the museum graphics request process to ensure brand alignment.
- Other duties as assigned.
Essential Job Requirements
- Ability to work occasional evenings/weekends/overnight.
- Must be able to hear and speak clearly.
- Physical requirements include medium work, exerting up to 40 pounds of force occasionally, and/or up to 30 pounds of force frequently, and/or up to 10 pounds of force constantly to move objects.
- Must be able stand for extended periods of time and move about on foot to accomplish tasks.
- Must be able to stoop, kneel, crouch, crawl, reach, push, pull, lift, grasp, feel, and utilize repetitive motions.
- Must have close visual acuity to operate a motor vehicle and perform activities such as: preparing and analyzing data, transcribing, viewing a computer, and extensive reading.
- The position is subject to environmental conditions for activities occurring indoors and outdoors.
How to Apply:
Qualified applicants please submit VLM application, cover letter, resume, and references by October 31.
No phone calls, please.
Mail: Human Resources
Virginia Living Museum
524 J. Clyde Morris Blvd
Newport News, VA 23601
Job Type: Full-time
- Wholesale purchasing: 1 year (Required)
- Retail Management: 2 years (Required)
- Non profit: 1 year (Preferred)
- Bachelor's (Preferred)
- English (Required)