Job Listing: Museum Shop Manager
CHRYSLER MUSEUM OF ART - NORFOLK, VA
Manages all aspects of the Museum Gift Shop, including planning, purchasing, customer service, pricing, point-of-sale system, and merchandising.
- Using his/her experience, selects vendors and merchandise for the Museum gift shop. Negotiates merchandise price and ensures availability schedule.
- Designs or works with consultants to design all custom products.
- Sets prices and merchandises all product in the gift shop to ensure that goals in revenue, capture rate, margin, and average sale are met or exceeded.
- Purchases all fixtures and supplies for the shop.
- Serves as liaison between the Shop and other departments within the Museum (e.g., Visitor Services, Special Events, Exhibitions, Registration, Curatorial) on a variety of projects including merchandise for special exhibitions and custom product.
- Provides all visitors to the Museum Shop with excellent customer service.
- Manages and motivates Gallery Hosts assigned to the gift shop each day. Provides performance feedback to the Director of Visitor Services.
- Calculates gift shop’s daily receipts and balance cash drawers.
- Prepares and approves purchase orders and invoices for submission to Accounting.
- Conducts an annual inventory.
- Performs other duties as assigned or required.
Qualified candidates will possess a BA/BS degree and significant retail experience to include at least 2 years in a multi-channel specialty products environment or equivalent, preferably as Store Manager. Museum store experience and art history knowledge a plus. Must have proven success managing in a fast-paced, complex environment with high traffic/high volume. The ideal candidate will also be a detail and results-oriented self–starter, who exhibits initiative and provides leadership by example. Effective problem solving, critical thinking and multi-tasking experience are also essential.
Job Type: Full-time
- relevant: 3 years (Preferred)