Job Listing: Museum Monitor
Colonial Williamsburg / Dewitt Wallace Decorative Arts Museum - Williamsburg, VA
Greets and orients museum guests. Monitors daily activities and operations at the museum entrance desk or museum lobby desk. Assists with opening and closing procedures according to museum polices.
- Welcomes arriving guests enthusiastically and professionally.
- Offer general orientation to museums.
- Observe, respond to or report security and safety issues.
WORK TO BE PERFORMED:
- Welcomes guests courteously and ensures safety of guests according to established security requirements.
- Greets guests in an approachable, warm, friendly manner.
- Explains where tickets are necessary in the building, and where to obtain tickets onsite.
- Seeks to address general visitor questions about the museum campus, historic area, restaurants or lodging accommodations.
- Has the skills to negotiate negative situations and resolve problems.
- In accordance with museum policy, directs guests with backpacks, oversized bags, umbrellas and outside food.
- Provides museum orientation.
- Ensure each visitor has valid admission pass or authorized means of entering building
- Provide brief orientation and introduction remarks.
- Answer guest questions about museum exhibits and programs.
- Has an interest in Williamsburg history and the ability to learn historical information.
- Attends training sessions and periodic meetings to enhance knowledge of museums and foundation.
- Strong communications skills, and an interest in hospitality and meeting the public.
- Ability to learn a body of information and accurately convey the information to visitors.
- Must demonstrate diplomacy and problem solving skills.
- Must be able to interact with the public for long periods of time.
- Reliability and initiative in applying and adapting (when necessary) museum policies.
- Must be able to work as part of a team.
- Ability to perform tasks without immediate supervision.
- Must be willing to work weekends and holidays as needed.
- Must be willing to work evenings as needed.
- Must have the flexibility to consider sudden scheduling changes, and to adapt to a different work assignment.
All of the above generally gained through high school education or equivalent certification, plus a minimum of 1-2 years experience in a position with public contact. Previous interpretive experience or previous experience at Colonial Williamsburg preferred, but not require