Job Listing: Media and Communications Manager
Virginia Living Museum - Newport News, VA
Closes - Open until filled.
Position Title – Media and Communications Manager
Salary - Based on Experience
Job Type - Part-Time, Seasonal
For more info and to apply: click here
General Statement of Duties
The Media and Communications Manager communicates the museums message to the broader community to enhance the brand, increase understanding of the museum and attract visitors and new members. This position recognizes the capacity to achieve greater results by integrating skilled volunteers, leveraging their diverse knowledge and skills. This position reports directly to the Senior Director of Guest Engagement.
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism, public relations, marketing, communications, tourism or related field
- Three years experience in marketing/tourism/museum or related field.
- Expert oral and written communications skills, exceptional storyteller/writer, extremely detail oriented and extensive editing skills.
- 1-2 years of experience as a Social Media Coordinator or similar role/responsibilities.
- A passion for Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Pinterest, Instagram, and other social media best practices.
- Understanding of how to create a social media-friendly voice and channel the museum brand sentiment to build authentic, relevant, interactive consumer conversations and relationships.
- Requires discretion, strong judgement and ability to work independently and as part of a team and
handle multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Requires articulate, creative self-starter; detailed-oriented professional with sensitivity to museum mission and vision.
- Familiarity with web design and publishing tools such as WordPress, Constant Contact, InDesign and Photoshop.
- Creative and friendly with excellent professional and people skills.
- Experience in still and video photography, including video editing.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Be a positive enthusiastic representative of the Virginia Living Museum.
- Develop, implement, and manage the museums social media strategy and content on Facebook,
Twitter, Instagram, YouTube and Pinterest.
- Manage and oversee social media content, measure the success of every social media campaign and provide constructive feedback to appropriate staff.
- Keep abreast of the latest social media best practices and technologies.
- Monitor user engagement and suggest content optimizations.
- Create and curate meaningful and impactful content to align with the museum mission.
- Write press releases and advertising materials and secure photos/artwork to accompany outreach materials.
- Create email advertising using Constant Contact software and maintain marketing email database.
- Collaborate with all Departments to ensure that marketing efforts are seamlessly in-sync with current programming and events.
- Assist in maintenance/update of content on museum web site and keep abreast of web innovations available to the museum.
- Promote the museum to hotels, time shares, AAA offices, CVBs, military bases, chambers of commerce and local/regional tourism offices through distribution of rack cards, brochures and promotional displays.
- Ensure all public information is correct and current and any comments handled in a timely and professional manner.
- Supervise brochure and rack card distribution.
- Arrange for off-site displays and represent museum at festivals and fairs.
- Assist the Senior Director of Guest Engagement with media relations, including distribution of publicity materials, solicitation of feature stories, contacts with the press, appearances on radio and TV, and media tours.
- Assist the Senior Director of Guest Engagement in preparing copy for publications, including members’ newsletter, e-newsletters, visitor map, brochures, profile sheets, flyers and programs for museum events.
- Assist the Senior Director of Guest Engagement in regular updates of calendar material.
- Photograph and/or videotape museum events and exhibits as needed.
- Assist with the planning, publicizing and staffing of media events.
- Other duties as assigned.
Essential Job Requirements
- Ability to work occasional evenings/weekends/overnight.
- Must be able to hear and speak clearly.
- Physical requirements include medium work, exerting up to 40 pounds of force occasionally, and/or up to 30 pounds of force frequently, and/or up to 10 pounds of force constantly to move objects.
- Must be able stand for extended periods of time and move about on foot to accomplish tasks.
- Must be able to stoop, kneel, crouch, crawl, reach, push, pull, lift, grasp, feel, and utilize repetitive motions.
- Must have close visual acuity to perform activities such as: preparing and analyzing data, transcribing, viewing a computer, and extensive reading.
- The position is subject to environmental conditions for activities occurring indoors and outdoors.
Supervision Exercised: None
This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by this employee. The Media & Communications Manager will be required to follow any other instructions and to perform any other related duties as assigned by the appropriate Supervisor/Director. The Virginia Living Museum reserves the right to update, revise or change the job description and related duties at any time.
Qualified applicants please submit a VLM application, cover letter, resume and references. No phone calls, please.