Job Listing: Marketing Manager and Historian
Old City Cemetery Museums and Arboretum- Lynchburg, VA
Closes - Open until filled.
Position Title – Marketing Manager and Historian
Salary - $15.00-$20.00/hour
Job Type - Full-Time
To learn more and apply, click here.
The Southern Memorial Association (SMA), founded in Lynchburg in 1866, is now a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization that manages Old City Cemetery in partnership with the Lynchburg Department of Public Works.
A landscape that remembers, comforts, and inspires
To make Old City Cemetery a sustainable and enduring landmark that engages
the greater Lynchburg community through its history and horticulture.
The Marketing Manager & Historian is responsible for developing and implementing a marketing & public relations plan (including social media & web site) that engages our community through history and horticulture. This position also plans and manages events for Old City Cemetery, creates and updates publications and promotional materials, and enhances and maintains Cemetery historical records. All work will be in support of the Strategic Plan for Old City Cemetery with a goal of promoting awareness and building support for the Cemetery Museums & Arboretum and our local history and horticulture. The position reports to the Executive Director.
Media and Community Relations:
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with media outlets including newspapers, radio, and television
- Establish and maintain effective relationships with local and state tourism entities such as the Lynchburg Visitors Center, Lynchburg Department of Tourism, and Virginia Tourism Corporation
- Develop and implement marketing and public relations plan.
- Evaluate the efficiency of Southern Memorial Association’s marketing efforts, and as indicated, develop improved ways to market OCC’s events, tours, programs, properties and services
- Regularly write interesting and effective press releases and announcements
- Organize, manage and promote online Antique Rose Sale
- Assist with management of other Antique Rose Sale events
- Assist with management of Candlelight Tours
- Manage the creation and production of marketing materials for events
- Work with designers to update &/or create posters, brochures, and advertisements
- Take photos of events, activities, volunteers, and attractions on grounds, and use images for promotion and publicity and web site as needed
- Promote weddings and tours to increase attendance & raise income
- Develop and implement social media plan (Facebook, Instagram, etc.)
- Create and distribute regular communications, including newsletters, email newsletter (via MailChimp), etc.
- Maintain and expand current mailing lists – both electronic and postal
- Write and assist others in writing creative brochures and manage production to keep all brochures up-to-date with adequate supplies available.
Working with the Executive Director, serve as primary web site manager. Keep web site up-to-date by contributing website content with pictures, events for calendar, images, etc.
- Report on metrics and data showing web site usage.
- Develop, promote and lead public tours highlighting Lynchburg and Cemetery history and the people buried at OCC, including introductory tours and other special tours
- Organize visiting speakers and programs that highlight Lynchburg and Cemetery history and the people buried at OCC
- Assist with historical research for Candlelight Tours living history program
- Manage and update map (InDesign program) and list (Excel) of those buried in OCC Potters’ Field
- Maintain list for Scatter Garden and order plaques
- Manage volunteers who provide installation of niche and Scatter Garden plaques
- Assist visitors doing research at OCC
Event Planning & Administration:
- Assist Executive Director with development & planning of creative events that support our mission.
- Develop & maintain procedures for managing all aspects of program delivery and events, such as registration, times and logistics of tours and any other visitor services, including logistics of set-up for events.
- Partner with Administrative Manager to maintain essential statistics including visitation numbers, volunteer hours, and report to Executive Director for BOD
- Other duties as assigned by the Executive Director
DETAILS OF THE POSITION
Job Classification: Non-exempt, full-time, 40 hours per week
This position requires working 15-20 Saturdays (for tours & special programs) and occasional Sundays for special events or to fill-in for other staff.
Salary: Commensurate with experience
Benefits: comprehensive benefits package
Education: Bachelor’s degree from four-year college or university. Prefer degree in history or marketing, with strong knowledge of American and local history. Prefer some experience in event planning and managing social media for promotion of a nonprofit, plus marketing or public relations.
- Social media expertise – Facebook, Instagram, Twitter
- Prefer knowledge of HootSuite or similar social media management program
- Prefer knowledge of InDesign graphic design program for designing simple brochures
- Computer management in Microsoft Office, Excel, PowerPoint and Publisher
- Marketing and Public Relations procedures
- Advanced written and verbal communication
- Strong writing skills
- Historical research skills
- Experience in photography
- Project management; define problems, collect data, draw valid conclusions
- Able to work several weekends
- Easily communicate information and ideas
- Prioritizing multiple tasks to meet deadlines
- Interpersonal relationship ability; meeting general public, groups and individuals
Personal Attributes and Traits – a Self-Starter who is: