Job Listing: Manager, Public Relations
Colonial Williamsburg Foundation - Williamsburg, VA
Closes - Open until filled
Position Title – Manager, Public Relations
Job Type - Full-Time
To learn more and apply, click here.
Manages external communications. Develops and implements communication plans for Foundation programs and activities that are in line with the Foundation’s mission and strategic objectives. Manages local, regional and national media relationships; partners with Social Media team to monitor and manage online responses to news. Works in partnership with Development and Marketing communications staff to support fundraising and promotions initiatives.
- Responsible for media and external communications that advance the Foundation’s reputation as a leader in civics and history education through significant media placements in local, regional and national news outlets.
- Develops and implements communication strategies representing all aspects of the organization for distribution through a quickly evolving media environment that includes finding and leveraging new and innovative ways to communicate to the public.
- Finds, develops and pitches storylines that are relevant to today’s audience and maximize the impact of the Foundation’s work.
- Writes Foundation-wide news releases, proactive and reactive messaging and other announcements as well as feature articles for use on Colonial Williamsburg’s owned channels and donor magazine.
- Serves as a Colonial Williamsburg spokesperson and manages media and crisis communications inquiries on behalf of the organization.
- Collaborates with Marketing and Social Media teams to monitor social media channels (both owned and third-party). Partner with Marketing and Social Media team on strategies for online delivery of/reaction to Foundation news; craft online responses as necessary.
- Works closely with communications personnel across the Foundation to coordinate messaging and ensure consistent and efficient communications to employees, volunteers, donors and guests.
- Fields and facilitates requests for broadcast, film and television production involving Foundation staff and property.
- Maintains awareness of Foundation activities and initiatives, community affairs, current events, history and cultural trends.
- Other duties as assigned.
Required and Preferred Education and Experience:
- Skills generally gained through a four-year degree in public relations, journalism or communications
- Four to five years public relations or journalism experience with a proven track record in a corporate or educational institution setting.
- Experience as a reporter
- Experience as a public relations specialist with a university, multi-site museum or non-profit environment.
- Proven communications skills, including proven ability to respond quickly and strategically to urgent public relations matters.
- Excellent writing, editing and verbal communication skills, utilizing in-depth knowledge of the Associated Press Stylebook. Professional writing samples required as part of the interview process.
- Experienced in the emerging technologies and digital/social/mobile landscape.
- Excellent media contacts.
- Demonstrated abilities to (1) manage a variety of projects and tasks in a dynamic and complex environment and (2) work effectively with individuals at all levels of the organization in a wide variety of roles.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office products.