Job Listing: Manager on Duty
Lewis Ginter Botanical Garden - Richmond, VA
Closes - Open until filled.
Position Title – Manager on Duty
Salary - From $50,000/Annually
Job Type - Full-Time
To learn more and apply, click here.
Lewis Ginter Botanical Garden’s mission is connecting people through plants to improve communities.
Lewis Ginter Botanical Garden, including the Lewis Ginter Nature Preserve, reveals the unity and integration of human and plant life, celebrates the fundamental significance of the natural world, and enriches communities through horticultural and educational excellence and innovative outreach activities.
Responsibility, Innovation, Integrity, Hospitality and Inspiration
Founded in 1984, Lewis Ginter Botanical Garden is a non-profit garden located in Richmond, Virginia’s Lakeside neighborhood. The Garden encompasses 82 acres, four lakes, 5,500 unique taxa of plants within 15 distinct outdoor gardens, 11 major buildings including a conservatory and greenhouse, plus an 80-acre branch site, the Lewis Ginter Nature Reserve. Annually, Lewis Ginter engages over 17,000 students in innovative and exciting education programs. This cadre of identified learners is just a fraction of the more than 400,000 annual visitors to the garden. In recent years, the Garden has been honored with inclusion in several top ten lists for botanical gardens in North America.
Lewis Ginter Botanical Garden is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We do not discriminate on the ground of race, color, religion, sex, age, disability or national origin in the hiring, retention, or promotion of employees. We support the diversity and inclusion policy adopted by The American Public Gardens Association: to create an equitable, diverse and inclusive culture where the contributions of all community members are valued, respected and appreciated.
The Manager on Duty (MOD) supports daily operational functions to ensure the health and safety of our guests, staff and volunteers, and the delivery of exceptional guest service at all times. This position works collaboratively with the Gardens Leadership Team and the Guest Services Departments by providing support and ensuring tasking, messaging, signage, and all forms of communications are consistent, informative and guest centric. The MOD serves as a Point of Contact for emergencies, questions and concerns from guests, staff and volunteers and provides feedback and recommendations for improved guest service needs. This position embodies our core value of hospitality by supporting the development and implementation of efficient and effective operating procedures and staff training needs to ensure a warm welcoming environment and world-class guest experience to all.
Duties and Responsibilities:
· Ensures all tasks are performed in alignment with Lewis Ginter Botanical Gardens core values and in support of the achievement of the Garden’s strategic plan.
· Contributes to the ongoing improvement of the guest experience.
o Checks in with all forward facing departments throughout each day to assess daily activity, and provides support as needed to ensure a warm welcome and expeditious processing of our guests.
o Ensures volunteers are in place and able to answer questions related to scheduled activities and events.
o Responds to or assists with guest complaints or feedback, and relays to appropriate staff as needed.
o Walks the outdoor Garden areas regularly to engage with guests, staff and volunteers, to assist with questions and concerns.
· Maintains a comprehensive understanding of all daily activities, seasonal and annual programs and events.
o Adjusts schedule to ensure appropriate MOD coverage during hours of operation, including on weekends, during heavy visitation periods, and special events including the Garden’s Dominion Energy Garden Fest of Lights event.
o Trouble shoots arrival/departure logistics for guests, program, class and rental attendees, group tours, donor and patron visits.
o Ensures a smooth transition from day operations to evening events by coordinating with the Security and the Facility Events team and the Gardens Food Service Provider.
o Develops and provides monthly MOD reports.
· Collaboratively develops and leads the Gardens Safety Team
o Follows and updates Garden Safety Protocol, identifies and provides ongoing safety training.
o Trouble shoots emergencies in coordination with reporting staff, reports to location of incident, dispatches staff to assist in directing emergency vehicles, help in locating lost children, etc. as needed.
o Identifies, assesses and reports all maintenance, operational or safety concerns and issues to the appropriate supervisor.
o Participation in Security trainings; CPR/First Aid/AED, Fire Alarms, Garden Safety Protoc0l, etc.
· Supports the oversight of Guest Services Departments
o Ensures consistent, correct messaging, signage and communications among staff.
o Develops and participates in ongoing guest services training.
o Provides POS assistance in Admissions and Garden Shop to help process guests, direct guest traffic or trouble shoot on busy days.
o Motivates and increases staff morale.
· Supports and embraces our diversity and inclusion policy to create an equitable, diverse and inclusive culture where the contributions of all community members are valued, respected and appreciated.
Each Employee of Lewis Ginter Botanical Garden *
· Must comply with provisions of the current Employee Handbook, all published personnel policies and the requirements of their individual job descriptions
· Must conduct herself or himself and perform all duties in a manner consistent with a public garden serving multigenerational and multicultural individuals and families, and in accordance with directed practices and procedures
· Must report incidents immediately and ultimately in writing to supervisor(s) and to the HR Manager
· Must ensure compliance with all applicable federal and state laws and regulations
· Must perform other duties as assigned by supervisor
Education and Experience*
· High School Diploma or GED equivalent or 3 years of equivalent experience working with the public in a visitor dependent organization or in a similar customer service capacity
· A strong background in Guest Services and related cultural institution experience is required
· Previous managerial experience required
· Demonstrated ability to develop and work with peers, co-workers and volunteers
· Excellent problem solving skills with outstanding communications (written and verbal)
· Excellent organizational skills with high attention to detail
· Highly responsible and reliable with professional presentation
· Ability to work nights, weekends and holidays
· Associate’s/Bachelors’ degree or 2 years of equivalent experience working with the public in a visitor dependent organization or in a similar customer service capacity
· Conversational Spanish preferable
· Proficient in Microsoft Outlook, Word, Excel, Work Order Systems, Active NET, TAM
· Other combinations of education/experience appropriate to the job will be considered
Physical Demands / Working Conditions
· Must be able to work outdoors in most weather conditions
· Must be able to lift up to 25 pounds intermittently
· Must be able to walk quickly between all garden venues regularly and walk or stand for long periods of time
· Ability to navigate the Garden’s campus in most weather conditions
· The position requires familiarity with all public areas of the 82-acre Garden property
Note: Duties described above, other duties and physical demands have been identified as essential functions as required by the Americans with Disabilities Act.