Job Listing: Manager of Visitor Services & Interpretation
George Washington Foundation - Fredericksburg, VA
Closes - Open until filled.
Position Title – Manager of Visitor Services & Interpretation
Salary - Commensurate with experience.
Job Type - Full-Time with Benefits
To learn more and apply, click here.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Supervises volunteer and paid interpretative staff, assisting in recruitment of, hiring, and evaluating the interpretative team at both Historic Kenmore and George Washington’s Ferry Farm
- Manages the administration of the reception and visitor information areas including brochures, signage, admissions policies, and other information systems as needed
- Develops monthly reports on visitation and responds to additional requests for special reports as requested
- Schedules interpretative staff for daily tours, group tours, and youth programs
- Works with other departments to develop, test, implement, and evaluate new tours and programs
- Participates in museum events and programs as necessary, which may include set-up assistance, event hosting, supervising an event function, creating signage, and directing volunteers
- Bachelor’s Degree with focus on History, Public History, Museum Studies or related field
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Demonstrated passion for history, along with an ability to learn historical content and methodologies for visitor interactions
- Demonstrated ability to effectively supervise, coach, and manage employees
- Demonstrated positive approach to problem solving, new tasks, and collaborating with others
- Presentation skills and time management
- Expertise in teaching, promoting dialogue and questioning, and facilitating educational experiences
- Ability to foster empathy amongst colleagues and visitors while working effectively and respectfully with people of diverse cultures, ages, and economic backgrounds
- Expertise with digital technology, specifically Homebase and Square
The George Washington Foundation is an equal opportunity employer and strives to cultivate a work environment encouraging fairness, teamwork and respect among employees at both sites. The position will be open until filled and salary is commensurate with experience. The position is based at Ferry Farm, but works with staff at both sites.