Job Listing: Library Clerk
Virginia Museum of History & Culture - Richmond, VA
Closes - Open until filled.
Position Title – Library Clerk
Salary - $14.00/hour
Job Type - Full-Time
For more info and to apply, click here.
The Library Clerk oversees the distribution, use, and shelving of library material in an efficient and courteous manner and performs responsibilities and clerical tasks necessary in the operation of the VMHC library. This position also supports Research & Publications staff to ensure that the library operates effectively and provides excellent customer service to its patrons.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Confirm that all material viewed by patrons is returned intact and in good order
- Shelve all material with accuracy to ensure that all items are correctly returned
- Implement library policies to ensure the safety of materials being used by patrons
- Register patrons and provide a summary of library policies and procedures
- Retrieve and serve materials to patrons in an efficient and timely manner
- Fulfill in-house and remote patron requests for photocopies, digital images, and scans
- Manage and document the routing of library materials requested for exhibition or photography
- Perform clerical tasks including filing, call slips, collecting payment for photocopies, calculating monthly and yearly statistics, and maintaining library supplies
- Participate in projects and outreach to promote access to and enhance the knowledge base for the collections and other VMHC resources
- Serve on cross-functional teams and committees
- Open and close the library as required
- Perform other duties as assigned
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities Necessary:
- General knowledge of United States and Virginia history
- Strong attention to detail
- Strong interpersonal skills and experience communicating with the general public
- Ability to use office-related computer programs (word processing, database management systems, spreadsheets, email) and equipment (printers, photocopiers, scanners, etc.)
- Physically able to retrieve and shelve library materials
- Ability to multitask and manage time efficiently
Education & Experience Requirements:
- Bachelor's degree in a relevant field: history, library science, museum studies, or equivalent work experience required
If interested in this job opportunity, please apply and upload your cover letter and resume to https://virginiahistory.isolvedhire.com/jobsearch/?job_board_classification=Job_Opportunities.
The Virginia Museum of History & Culture is owned and operated by the Virginia Historical Society ' a private, non-profit organization established in 1831. The historical society is the oldest cultural organization in Virginia, and one of the oldest and most distinguished history organizations in the nation. For use in its state history museum and its renowned research library, the historical society cares for a collection of nearly nine million items representing the ever-evolving story of Virginia.
The Virginia Historical Society is an Equal Opportunity Employer.