Job Listing: Kayak and Visitor Assistants
Menokin Foundation - Warsaw, VA
Closes - Open until filled.
Position Title –Kayak and Visitor Assistants
Salary - $12/hour, plus tips
Job Type - Part-Time, Seasonal
Menokin is seeking two part-time, seasonal Kayak and Visitor Assistants to work for Menokin’s new partnership with the Town of Warsaw, Rappahannock Outdoor Adventures (ROA). Hosted at the historic Saddlery building on Main Street in Warsaw, ROA will be a kayak rental service that runs Memorial Day through Labor Day. Visitors will rent kayaks and receive shuttle rides to and from the Saddlery and their launch point. The goal is to eventually expand ROA to included guided paddles, day trips, and more.
In addition, the Saddlery is under consideration to become a designated Visitor Information Center with Virginia Tourism, providing a much-needed amenity in Richmond County, the heart of the Northern Neck.
Menokin is a National Historic Landmark situated on beautiful Cat Point Creek, a tributary of the Rappahannock River. This partnership with the Town of Warsaw positions Menokin in the center of Warsaw and provides a meaningful opportunity to support the Town’s growth and economic development.
Kayak and Visitor Assistants will:
- Load kayaks onto and off the trailer and at the launch
- Assist paddlers getting into and out of their kayak
- Drive paddlers to and from the launch
- Provide basic tips to beginner paddlers
- Enforce safety protocol, including the proper fit for personal flotation devices.
- Manage reservations over the phone and via the Menokin website
- Monitor the weather and communicate with paddlers about weather-related cancellations
- Maintain the kayak fleet and equipment, ensuring it is properly cleaned and secured when not in use.
When not assisting paddlers, they will:
- Greet visitors
- Answer questions about local tourism (attractions, restaurants, shopping)
- Restock rack cards and keep visitor-facing areas orderly
- Handle any gift shop sales
- Represent and promote Menokin’s offerings, such as tours.
Kayak and Visitor Assistants will report to Menokin’s Director of Visitor and Community Engagement.
- Experience working in a customer service setting
- Experience communicating clearly with and instructing groups of people
- Experience working or volunteering in outdoor settings
- High school diploma or GED
- At least 18 years of age
- Valid Driver’s License (staff will be driving 15 passenger van with a kayak trailer)
- Must pass background and driving record checks
- Can lift up to 50 lbs.
- Completion of CPR course and ACA Level 1: Introduction to Kayaking skills course within the past year, or willing to complete before ROA opens. Higher level skills courses are also acceptable, but not required.
Pay: $12/hour, plus tips
Hours: 21-29 hours/week, Thursday through Sunday. Must be available weekends and holidays including Memorial Day Weekend, July 4, and Labor Day Weekend. Shifts will be 5 to 8 hours during the day.
Training begins mid-May. ROA’s season opens on Friday, May 28.
COVID-19 considerations: At this time, staff and visitors must comply with Virginia state mandates and wear a mask inside any buildings, during check-in, and inside the van. Menokin will provide cleaning supplies and masks to staff. Menokin monitors changes to state mandates and regional cases, and will modify its operations when necessary. All paddlers will sign liability waivers that address the inherent risks associated with kayak rentals and public outings during the pandemic.
To apply, please send
- Brief essay (no more than 350 words) describing an experience or outdoor adventure that demonstrates why you are the right fit for this job.
to Juliana Grassia at email@example.com. No phone calls please!