Job Listing: Junior Groundskeeper
ST. LUKE'S HISTORIC CHURCH & MUSEUM - SMITHFIELD, VA
Open until filled
Salary: Part time up to 30 hours per week starting at $11.39/hr. Eligible for full time (40 hours per week) salaried
position starting at $23,691/year after successful completion of a 90 day probationary period.
Title: Junior Groundskeeper
Historic St. Luke’s Restoration, doing business as St. Luke’s Historic Church & Museum, in Smithfield,
Virginia. HSLR interprets the early American pursuits of religious freedom and separation of church and
state as imbued in the 1st Amendment of U.S. Constitution. HSL stewards and exhibits the church
building, local artifacts, and stories that are important in explaining the Site’s place in U.S. history.
HSLR is a private, 501(c)(3) non-profit education and cultural history institution and does not receive any
federal, state, or municipal funding.
Groundskeepers are responsible for a variety of duties that involve year round care and maintenance of St.
Luke’s Historic Church & Museum 23 acres of historic ground and cemeteries, and .5 miles of nature
trails. They ensure the growth and vibrancy of our plants, flowers, lawn, and decorative shrubs and light
maintenance of exterior buildings. They work outdoors in a mix of weather conditions maintaining clean,
safe and clear access to and from the Administrative Building and Welcome Center as well as the Historic
The Junior Groundskeeper is responsible for landscape maintenance and enhancement projects under the
direction of the Senior Groundskeeper. The Junior Groundskeeper is able to operate a variety of
equipment and has a working knowledge of general landscaping practices.
While performing the essential functions of this job, the employee is regularly exposed to environmental
conditions such as temperature and weather extremes, wet and/or humid conditions, dust, pollen, insects,
hazardous materials, and wildlife.
1. This position requires a minimum of one to two years’ experience in the landscaping field.
2. Must be 18 years of age, able to work independently and pass a background check.
3. Must be able to safely operate a variety of lawn maintenance equipment including but not
limited to: zero turn lawnmowers, tractors, dump trailers, chain saws, blowers, line trimmers,
and hedge trimers, etc.
4. Able to physically stand, walk, bend, squat or kneel regularly for 8 hours a day.
5. Must be able to regularly lift, carry, push or move moderately heavy objects and materials up to
6. Knowledge of machines and tools, including their designs, uses, repair, and maintenance is
7. Able to complete duties in the most time-efficient manner meeting the productivity targets and
8. Must have a valid driver’s license and reliable transportation.
9. Pesticide Applicator license or ability to obtain a license is preferred.
1. Completes landscape maintenance duties, such a mowing, fertilizer, herbicide, or insecticide
application, weed control, aeration, spring clean-up, fall clean-up, trimming and pruning.
2. Completes landscape enhancement projects such as mulch and compost application, plantings,
top soil application, lawn seeding.
3. Safely operate powered equipment such as zero turn lawnmowers, tractors, snow blowers, chainsaws, electric clippers, and trimmers. Use hand tools such as shovels, rakes, pruning saws, saws,
4. Maintain and repair tools and equipment. Notifies management when replacement is necessary.
5. Prune and trim trees, shrubs, and hedges, using shears, pruners, or chain saws.
6. Rake, mulch, and compost leaves.
7. Haul away yard waste such as tree limbs, leaves, grass and dirt.
8. Gather and remove litter and empty trashcans.
9. Water lawns, trees, and plants, using sprinkler system, hoses, or watering cans. Use irrigation
methods to adjust the amount of water consumption and to prevent waste.
10. Performs light repairs and maintenance of the Administrative Building and Welcome Center and
other structures such as the work shed, fences and benches, using hand and power tools.
11. Provide proper upkeep of sidewalks, driveways, parking lots, fountains, planters, burial sites, and
other grounds features.
12. Shovel snow from sidewalks, driveways, and parking lots, and spread salt in those areas.
13. Maintains a clean and safe work environment, including work site and equipment.
14. Works with Senior Groundskeeper to identify opportunities to reduce and save on maintenance
TO APPLY: Please submit all interest letters, resumes, and three professional references via email to Todd Ballance, Executive Director, at firstname.lastname@example.org with subject of “Junior Groundskeeper”. No phone calls please.