Job Listing: IT Technician, VLM
Virginia Living Museum - Newport News, VA
Closes - Open until filled.
Position Title – IT Technician
Salary - Based on experience.
Job Type - Part-Time
To learn more and apply, click here.
Status: Part-Time, Non- Exempt, 29 hours or less/ Week (on-site)
General Statement of Duties
The IT Technician will install and maintain various information technology hardware and software aiming for high and secure functionality and will train users of the systems on the appropriate and safe usage of the IT infrastructure. This position recognizes the capacity to achieve greater results by integrating skilled volunteers and leveraging their diverse knowledge and abilities. The IT Technician reports to the Chief Operating Officer.
- Proven experience as an IT Technician or relevant position.
- Degree in Computer Science, engineering or relevant field.
- Excellent diagnostic and problem-solving skills.
- Goal-oriented, organized team player with excellent communication skills.
- Ability to multitask, prioritize, and manage time efficiently
- Outstanding organizational skills.
- In depth understanding of diverse computer systems and networks.
- Have up-to-date knowledge of new systems, information, software, and upgrades
- Good knowledge of internet security and data privacy principles.
- Certification as an IT Technician will be an advantage (e.g. CompTIA A+, Microsoft Certified IT
Duties and Responsibilities
- Be a positive, enthusiastic representative of the Virginia Living Museum.
- Enhance the Guest Experience by working with all departments to assist with Servers, LAN/WAN technologies, computer repair/troubleshooting software, networks, virus protection,
Wi-Fi technology, and more.
- Ensure security and privacy of networks and computer systems.
- Install, test, and monitor equipment, servers, firewalls, anti-virus and any other needed software according to specifications.
- Keep systems up to date by organizing and scheduling upgrades, maintenance, and backups without deterring others from completing their work.
- Providing support to users and being the first point of contact IT issues: hardware maintenance, software, networking, etc. by phone, email or site visits as needed.
- Maintain the museum phone system with the support of the maintenance contractor.
- Set up workstations with computers and necessary peripheral devices (routers, printers etc.)
- Check computer hardware (HDD, mouses, keyboards etc.) to ensure functionality.
- Provide orientation and guidance to users on how to operate new software and computer equipment.
- Work with the Facilities Department to ensure electrical safety standards are met.
- Maintain records/logs of repairs and fixes and maintenance schedule.
- Identify computer or network equipment shortages and place orders.
- Assists in research and procurement of computer accessories and supplies.
- Strategically utilizes and manages volunteers and their applicable skills to strengthen the Museum’s mission and commitment to the community.
- Perform any other duties assigned.
Essential Job Requirements
- Ability to work occasional evenings/weekends
- Must have close visual acuity to perform activities such as: preparing and analyzing data, transcribing, viewing a computer, and reading.
- Must be able stand for extended periods of time and move about on foot to accomplish tasks.
- Must be able to stoop, kneel, crouch, crawl, reach, push, pull, lift, grasp, feel, and utilize repetitive motions.
Supervision Exercised: None
This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by this employee. The IT Technician will be required to follow any other instructions and to perform any other related duties as assigned by the appropriate Supervisor/Director. The Virginia Living Museum reserves the right to update, revise or change the job description and related duties at any time.
Qualified applicants please submit VLM application, cover letter, resume, and references.
No phone calls, please.