Job Listing: Interpreter
James Madison's Montpelier - Orange, VA
Closes - Open until filled.
Position Title – Interpreter
Salary - $13.00/Hourly
Job Type - Part-Time
For more info and to apply: click here
At James Madison’s Montpelier, we embrace the spirit and ideology of the Constitution and strive to form a more perfect union through embracing diversity and inclusion and we celebrate, support, and thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our visitors, and our community. The Montpelier Foundation at James Madison’s Montpelier strives to become an equal opportunity workplace through the development of programs and positions specifically targeted toward attracting a diverse pool of applicants.
- Provide guided tours in a personable, knowledgeable, and engaging fashion according to interpretive best practices for visitors of all ages.
- Provide student tours and educational programming for K-12th grade audiences.
- Provide visitors with friendly guidance, accurate information, and engaging interpretation that allow the visitor to gain an understanding of the history of James and Dolley Madison, the Montpelier Plantation and the enslaved community, the Montpelier House, and an appreciation of James Madison’s influential role as intellectual author of the Constitution and Bill of Rights.
- Present tour and program information and orient visitors to the site in a friendly, helpful manner.
- Maintain a thorough understanding of site logistics, programs, and content
- Assist with special programs and property uses, seminars and receptions, and other events as required.
- Sell tour tickets and memberships; assist with opening/closing registers and preparing deposits as needed.
- Provide information to guests in person, by phone, and by email regarding hours, admission, directions, and parking.
- Assist in providing security by observing and monitoring activities of visitors and non-staff personnel in and around buildings and collections, and ensuring the safety of visitors.
- Actively participate in training and enrichment programs to improve customer service; expand communication skills; increase knowledge of the historic site, its history, architecture and collections; update and modify tours as new or relevant information becomes available.
- Complete at least seven hours of refresher/enrichment training annually.
- Must be reliable, punctual, neat appearance, and follow the prescribed dress code.
- Other duties as assigned.
- High school diploma or equivalent; some college preferred
- Interest in “whole truth history,“ providing an accurate, complete story of the past, while connecting the past to the present
- Excellent customer service skills; articulate and excellent oral communication skills; cheerful, welcoming attitude to the public. Ability to present tour information in personable and knowledgeable fashion, as documented by required evaluations and departmental certification
- A willingness to work as part of a team and the ability to take initiative when warranted; responsible, punctual, flexible, and an ability to work well under pressure.
- Ability to assimilate research material and impart information in an accurate, thematic, coherent, and engaging manner.
- Ability to be available as scheduled, including some weekend days, some evenings, some holidays, and large museum-event days
- Ability to satisfactory complete required James Madison/Montpelier new Guide interpretive training
- Acceptable background check
- Ability to present walking tours for extended periods of time, including going up and down stairs, walking back and forth to the House and Visitor Center, and traversing the paths, trails, lawns, and grounds of the Montpelier property.
- Requires hand strength to operate radios and complete set-up and closing procedures.
- Requires standing for considerable lengths of time; requires the use of hands, arms, and fingers for repetitive motions and the ability to bend, crouch, and lift up to 40 pounds
- Sufficient auditory acuity to hear questions asked by visitors and must be able to speak in a clear and audible voice that can be heard by groups of twenty or more.