Job Listing: History Interpreter (Part Time)
George Washington's Mount Vernon - Mount Vernon, VA
Closes - Open until filled
Position Title – History Interpreter (Part Time)
Salary - $11.00/hour
Job Type - Part-time
For more info and to apply, click here.
- Exceed audience learning expectations and ensure a level of access in which everyone is welcome – be friendly, respectful, engaging, and flexible. Always remember that this visit may be their first and only.
- Encourage a meaningful appreciation of George Washington and the world in which he lived. Ensure that his legacy connects to the world our audiences live in today.
- Engage yourself in the mission of the Mount Vernon Ladies’ Association – take responsibility for your continued development and commit to collaboration. Care for your colleagues and be proud of what we accomplish together.
- Create a positive learning environment for guests of all ages and backgrounds by being hospitable, approachable, and professional in appearance and demeanor
- Provide guests with accurate, interesting, and pertinent historical information about George Washington and Mount Vernon in an engaging, timely, and articulate manner
- Follow departmental interpretive strategies in order to effectively integrate your interpretation into the total guest learning experience
- Assist the Interpretive Supervisors with the daily opening, closing, and security of the Mansion and Tomb. Actively monitor and protect assigned positions in and around the Mansion and report any incidents and/or concerns related to historic structures and the collections held within
- Assist the Interpretive Supervisors with the implementation of emergency procedures when necessary to ensure safety for our guests, colleagues, historic structures, and collections
- Assist with special tours, programs, and other projects as needed
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills required
- Must work well with a diverse audience and have a sincere interest in history
- Must be responsible, flexible, punctual, and able to work well under pressure
- Ability to work creatively and effectively as a member of a team is mandatory
- Must be able to stand/walk for long periods on varying surfaces, inside and outside, and in a variety of conditions
- Must comply with: comprehensive dress code for uniformed staff; departmental standard operating procedures
- Must work frequent weekends, evenings, and holidays
- Must maintain internal Guest Experience Accreditation: 1 meeting credit; 1 field trip credit; 2 content credits