Job Listing: Historic Preservation Coordinator
Prince William County Historic Preservation - Richmond, VA
Closes - 10/4/2021 11:59 PM
Position Title – Historic Preservation Coordinator
Salary - $62,613.00-$121,973.00/Annually
Job Type - Full-Time
For more info and to apply, click here.
ABOUT THIS ROLE:
Our Historic Preservation Coordinator will serve as front line staff for the Division and will represent the Division at the community partner meetings including Historic Commission. supervise and coordinate the programs and activities of assigned County historic sites. As assigned, the incumbent will be responsible for collections curation and management, cultural resources management, and archeological operations of county owned historic sites. Responsibilities may include: facility use; security, safety, resource protection, visitor control; program design and implementation; acquisition of new items; collections review, assessment, and re-assessment; developing museum exhibits; and managing the Historic Preservation Foundation.
This position is responsible for coordinating historical site programs and activities, developing new museum exhibits, and ensuring facility use and safety.
- Conducts development projects to improve department operations; develops new plans and strategies for program design, implementation, and exhibit acquisition.
- Promotes facility funding and marketing by searching and applies for grant and sponsorship opportunities; and distributing marketing advertisements locally and online.
- Partners with outside organizations to maintain facilities operation; discuss current tourism trends; and create attractive programming.
- Coordinates the daily operations of the department, including opening and closing the facility; managing gift shop, financial, and inventory documentation; ensuring visitor safety and security; and preparing daily tour conductions.
- Reviews and maintains a variety of reports, records, and other historical documentation.
- Plans and coordinate public programs and events that promote community involvement.
- Works with history and cultural organizations to share our historical treasures and stories.
- Provides excellent and personal customer service via phone/email.
- Manages a volunteer workforce of adults and youth who want to share their passion for history.
- Assists in taking care of historic and natural resources through proper management practices.
- Performs other duties of a similar nature or level.
We require a high school diploma or G.E.D. and 3 years of related experience. The ideal candidate will have:
A Bachelor of Arts degree in history, anthropology or archaeology.
5 years of historic preservation, historic research, or cultural resource management or related experience; or equivalent combination of education.
Experience in interpretation and cultural resource management a plus.
Knowledge of Microsoft Office applications and microfilm equipment preferred.
Experience in historic research, public programming, archaeological and/or architectural documentation, preparation of scholarly work, and working at historic sites.
Writing skills to publish papers for journals and magazines and strong experience in providing public programs.
Experience researching local, state and national history topics, using local, state and national research repositories, and preparing interpretive media about a person, place or thing.
The ability to work on a small but energetic and forward-looking team is a must.
SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS: The selected candidate will be required to pass a pre-employment background check.
NOTE: The above position description is intended to represent only the key areas of responsibilities. To view the full classification description for a Historic Preservation Coordinator, pleas click here.