Job Listing: Historic Interpreter, Historic St. John's Church
St. John's Church Foundation - Richmond, VA
Closes - Open until filled
Position Title – Historic Interpreter
Salary - $10.00-$12.00/hour
Job Type - Part-time
The Historic Interpreter is integral to the daily operations of Historic St. John’s Church, a National Historic Landmark in Richmond, Virginia, which provides tours, reenactments, and special event programs for the general public, schools and other groups. The Interpreter is responsible for learning and mastering history content and interpretive methods in order to provide an engaging experience to visitors.
This is a part-time position requiring at least 2 to 4 weekend days a month.
Historic site hours are currently Saturdays 9:30 AM - 4:30 PM, Sundays 12:30 PM - 4:30 PM, with the potential to open on Fridays and Mondays in the summer. There is potential for additional hours during the week for special programs.
College degree preferred. Museum/historic site interpretation experience preferred. Previous experience as an interpreter is desired. Part-time, up to 24 hours a month.
Excellent communication and customer service skills required. Computer skills required. Experience using Zoom, Google Classroom, or Microsoft Teams for virtual programs preferred.
Perfect for students pursuing public history, teaching, or museum studies, or someone with a strong interest in history who enjoys working with the public.
COVID Statement: We currently offer 10-person-limit, in-person tours inside the church, with required Covid-safe protocols for our staff and visitors. We are currently open to the public on weekends and conduct limited virtual programs during the week.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide guests with accurate, interesting, and pertinent historical information about Historic St. John’s Church, the 2nd Virginia Convention, Patrick Henry and the American Revolution in an engaging, timely, and articulate manner.
- Create a positive learning environment for guests of all ages and backgrounds by being hospitable, approachable, and professional in all guest interactions
- Conduct tours, school programs (virtual at this time), other special programs as needed.
- Adhere to and enforce Covid-safe protocols as required; adhere to standard operating procedures.
- Assist with the opening and closing and maintenance of the site.
- Understand and implement emergency procedures to ensure safety of guests and staff if necessary.
- Actively grow your knowledge of St. John’s Church, Patrick Henry, and colonial and Revolutionary War history to continually enhance your interpretive ability.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Public speaking skills, comfort with groups of all sizes and ages
- An outgoing, cheerful and engaging personality
- Must enjoy working with the public
- Must interact well with visitors of all ages, backgrounds, and abilities.
- Must have a sincere interest in history
- Must be responsible, flexible, punctual, able to lift 30 lbs.
- Ability to work creatively and effectively as a member of a team.
- Must be able to stand/walk for long periods on varying surfaces, inside and outside, and in a variety of conditions
- Must adhere to standard operating procedures.
- Works well under pressure, remains professional in intense situations and maintains composure.
St. John’s Church Foundation is an Equal Opportunity Employer
To apply, email firstname.lastname@example.org