Job Listing: Guest Services Associates Admissions
Lewis Ginter Botanical Garden - Richmond, VA
Closes - Open until filled
Position Title – Guest Services Associates Admissions
Salary - $13/hr
Job Type - 37.5 Hours per week. Weekend and evening hours required
Apply: Please submit cover letter, resume to Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org
Lewis Ginter Botanical Garden’s mission is connecting people through plants to improve communities.
Lewis Ginter Botanical Garden, including the Lewis Ginter Nature Reserve, reveals the unity and integration of human and plant life, celebrates the fundamental significance of the natural world, and enriches communities through horticultural and educational excellence and innovative outreach activities.
Responsibility, Innovation, Integrity, Hospitality and Inspiration
Founded in 1984, Lewis Ginter Botanical Garden is a non-profit garden located in Richmond, Virginia’s Lakeside neighborhood. The Garden encompasses 82 acres, four lakes, 5,500 unique taxa of plants within 15 distinct outdoor gardens, 11 major buildings including a conservatory and greenhouse, plus an 80-acre branch site, the Lewis Ginter Nature Reserve. Annually, Lewis Ginter engages over 17,000 students in innovative and exciting education programs. This cadre of identified learners is just a fraction of the more than 400,000 annual visitors to the Garden. In recent years, the Garden has been honored with inclusion in several top ten lists for botanical gardens in North America.
Lewis Ginter Botanical Garden is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We do not discriminate on the ground of race, color, religion, sex, age, disability or national origin in the hiring, retention, or promotion of employees. We support the diversity and inclusion policy adopted by The American Public Gardens Association: to create an equitable, diverse and inclusive culture where the contributions of all community members are valued, respected and appreciated.
· Handles payment in exchange for admission fees and membership dues, event tickets and classes
· Responsible for all cash and credit card transactions; following established procedures for opening and closing assigned register
· Able to efficiently use TAM database to perform ticket sales, register guests for classes, run reports, check daily schedule of events, look up events for guests needing information (date and location confirmation, etc.)
· Able to use Outlook and Microsoft office products to check Admissions emails, respond via email to Garden staff on admissions related matters if needed and check shared calendar for staffing schedule updates
· Able to efficiently and accurately use Raiser’s Edge database to look up memberships and issue temporary membership cards, sell new memberships and renew existing or lapsed memberships
· Able to recruit membership sales, appropriately recommend upgrades and provide special membership services
· Keeps working area organized, is ready to conduct business and keeps area tidy for following day’s shift
· Provides departmental support as requested and needed to handle exceptionally busy processing seasons
· Makes use of slow periods by performing administrative duties like assembling member packets, restocking Garden materials and seasonal rack cards, etc.
· Ensures areas of visitor entry in Visitors Center are ready for the day’s business to include turning monitors on, ensuring all signage is accurate, checking for accurate signage on exteriors doors as verified by ActiveNet schedule of events each day
· Able to create and print new signage if needed to alert guests of time sensitive issues like closings, limited access to certain areas of the Garden, safety alerts, special event information, etc.
· Provides excellent customer service to guests, visitors, members, volunteers, event and program attendees coming through the Visitors Center
· Acts as the “face of the Garden” by genuinely welcoming each visitor with knowledge of the Garden, helpfulness, empathy and eagerness to be of service
· Stays informed of all Garden events, classes and activities and is able to provide information to visitors regarding special events, Garden Shop hours, Café and Tea House hours and menus, by efficiently and quickly being able to use all available electronic and printed means including ActiveNet and the Garden’s Website.
· Is proactive in assessing visitor’s needs quickly, ie: offering assistance or directions, locating wheelchairs or strollers, offering assistance if visitor appears in need of help
· Answers the Garden’s main phone line and expedites calls to appropriate departments or staff members, as well as returns calls appropriately and in a timely fashion
· Efficiently and correctly handles deliveries made to the Admissions desk
· Is able to handle difficult situations with tact and respect and reports issues to supervisor in a timely manner with accurate details
· Is readily able to identify a situation that requires the attention of a supervisor or Director
· Acts as a contact person in case of emergencies and reports situation to appropriate parties, using required reporting procedures, as well as contacting 911 for assistance when needed
· Presents oneself with a professional and friendly attitude and appearance
· Other duties as assigned by supervisor
· Willing and able to work weekends and evenings
· Prior cashier, money handling experience
· Prior experience working with the public
· Experience using MS Windows
· Knowledge of TAM or similar POS/ticketing software
· Knowledge of Raiser’s Edge database or similar software
· Familiar with Nortel or other mainstream telephone platforms
· Efficient and accurate data base entry skills
· Detail oriented and is able to multi-task in a fast-paced potentially noisy environment
· Proven ability to problem solve during real-time events
· Ability to work in a supervised environment
· Works well with others
· Able to work independently while providing excellent customer service to admissions and membership needs
· Takes direction from supervisor in a positive and constructive manner
· Is proactive and provides suggestions and ideas on streamlining procedures
Employees of Lewis Ginter Botanical Garden
· Must comply with provisions of the current Employee handbook, all published personnel policies and the requirements of their individual job descriptions
· Must perform all duties in a manner consistent with a public garden serving multigenerational and multicultural individuals, families, and in accordance with directed practices and procedures
· Must be aware of surroundings and vigilant to threats to the safety of visitors, volunteers, and staff or to security of their property, ensuring that all concerns are reported promptly
· Must report all injuries and incidents immediately and ultimately in writing to supervisor(s) and to the President
· Must ensure compliance with all applicable federal and state laws and regulations
· Must perform other duties as assigned by supervisor
Physical Demands / Working Conditions
· Must be able to work for extended periods in one location, then move periodically and quickly between select points within the Robins Visitors Center adjacent to the Atrium as well as the immediate outside locations
· Must be able to lift 20 pounds
· Periodically, must be able to move around the Garden to understand and so better explain it to guests
Note: Duties described above, other duties and physical demands have been identified as essential.
Education and Experience
· High School Graduate or equivalent
· Associates Degree preferred but not required
Please submit cover letter and resume to email@example.com.