Job Listing: Guest Services Associate, VLM
Virginia Living Museum - Newport News, VA
Closes - Open until filled
Position Title – Guest Services Associate
Job Type - Part-Time
To learn more and apply, click here.
General Statement of Duties
As the first point of contact for our guests, this position is responsible for enthusiastically welcoming our guests and assisting them with ticket and membership sales and other services to give them the best guest experience possible during their visit. The Guest Services Associate greets customers at the front desk and conducts sales in the museum store. This position recognizes the capacity to achieve greater results by integrating skilled volunteers and leveraging their diverse knowledge and abilities. The position is under the direct supervision of the Guest Services Manager & Museum Store Manager.
- High School graduate or equivalent.
- Outgoing, friendly, service oriented. Able to communicate enthusiasm for the museum and its programs.
- Must be bondable.
- Must have a professional appearance.
- Exceptional communication skills. Must be tactful and display discernment and discretion.
- Must be able to remain calm in confrontational and crisis situations.
- Ability to gracefully handle multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Possess basic math skills and basic understanding of debits and credits.
- Basic computer skills and cash register experience helpful.
- Detail oriented. Must be able to recognize and function while dealing with several different types of memberships and ticket sales for a variety of events.
- Be First Aid certified or be able and willing to be trained.
- Must be able to accurately and efficiently perform data entry and perform duties assigned to maintain the integrity of the museum’s database.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Be a positive, enthusiastic representative of the Virginia Living Museum
- The Guest Services Associate welcomes each visitor to the museum and assists them with purchasing tickets, memberships, and obtaining information. In addition, the Guest Services Associate will provide items such as, but not limited to, wheelchairs, strollers, and Braille guides as needed. If the Associate does not have ready access to a needed item, he/she will contact the appropriate staff.
- Provides excellent service to guests and staff by staying aware of all events listed in the Paws and Reflect, the BUZZ, the museum website, and the museum’s posted schedules.
- The Guest Services Associate will ensure high customer satisfaction by answering incoming calls to the museum on a multi-line phone system, providing correct and current information in a helpful manner and routing calls to the proper departments as needed. Will be responsible for returning customer calls as necessary.
- The Associate will perform duties required to open and close the museum each day. Assigned doors must be unlocked/locked, the Dinosaur Discovery Trail opened and monitors, lights, and microscopes turned on/off. The Associate will ensure all spaces are ready for guests by notifying appropriate staff if any actions are required to clean or repair an item or area.
- The associate will ensure a safe and clean store environment and participate in sales by demonstrating merchandise and products to customers.
- Maintain visual merchandise standards, stock shelves and maintain store inventory control.
- General support for staff and guests will be provided by serving as the central contact point for emergency situations and requests for First Aid. Associates will respond by providing basic supplies or calling for professional help. Communication with staff will often be by handheld radios.
- The Associate will obtain the cash drawer from the acting manager each day and is responsible for all monies collected. The total cash/credits obtained must be reconciled with the amounts recorded in ALTRU.
- The Associate must learn how to use, navigate, and input data in ALTRU. The associate must also maintain the integrity of the database in ALTRU.
- The Associate will post and sort mail when necessary.
- Ensures that the Front Desk and the Lobby are presentable to guests. On occasion, obtain paper towels and other supplies for guests.
- Serve as backup for Touch Tank and Outdoor Trail interpreters as needed.
- Engage and oversee volunteers in completion of duties.
- Other duties as assigned.
Essential Job Requirements
- Ability to work weekends & occasional evenings.
- Must be able to hear and speak clearly.
- Physical requirements include medium work, must be able to lift 40lbs.
- Must be able stand for extended periods of time and move about on foot to accomplish tasks.
- Must be able to stoop, kneel, crouch, crawl, reach, push, pull, lift, grasp, feel, and utilize repetitive motions.
- Perform activities such as: preparing and analyzing data, transcribing, operating & viewing a computer, and extensive reading.
- The position is subject to environmental conditions for activities occurring indoors and outdoors.