Job Listing: Guest Services Associate, POS Event Support
Lewis Ginter Botanical Garden - Richmond, VA
Closes - Open until filled.
Position Title – Guest Services Associate, POS Event Support
Salary - To be determined.
Job Type - Full-Time
To learn more and apply, click here.
The Guest Services Associate – POS/Event Support position works in multiple departments to ensure an extraordinary guest experience during fluctuating visitation, seasonal work needs, rental event preparations and special event support and execution. This position focuses on elevating the guest experience and exemplifies the Garden’s core value of hospitality.
Responsibilities and Requirements
This position reports to the Manager on Duty, in collaboration with department managers in coordination with the based on visitation, event schedules, seasonal needs and priority tasks will determine opportunities in and hours divided among these support departments:
Admissions: The Visitors Center is the gateway to the Garden and our formal entry point for all members, guests, visitors, volunteers, donors and vendors. This department is responsible for an expeditious yet informative and engaging connection with each visitor, achieved by providing a genuine welcome, by being helpful, empathetic and eager to be of service and providing knowledge of the Garden.
- Face-to-face interaction with guests, members, volunteers, donors, deliveries, vendors.
- Working at Point of Sales stations to sell and process admissions, special event tickets sales, promote and sell Memberships.
- Responsible for all cash and credit card transactions.
- Stays informed of all Garden events, classes and activities and is able to provide information to visitors regarding special events, Garden Shop, Café and Tea House hours and menus both in person and on the phone.
- Provides departmental support to handle exceptionally busy processing seasons.
Garden Shop: This 5,000 sq. ft. retail space generates $1M dollars annually to the Garden’s operating budget from the sale of unique gifts, books, statuary, jewelry, clothing and merchandise reflective of the botanical world. This department’s work focuses on excellent customer service and displaying and selling merchandise that generates proceeds that support the Garden’s mission as a primary source for learning about the botanical world.
- Provides floor coverage, guest, cashier and volunteer assistance as needed.
- Maintains stock and inventory.
- Ensures the visual aesthetic standard of the shop.
Facility Events Staff Assistance: The Facility Events Department coordinates over 300 events a year in 12 different venues and gardens. This position demonstrates our core value of hospitality by providing a welcoming and helpful experience to all clients and guests attending private and public events through positive helpful interactions, as well as effective communications and directional assistance.
- Assists in the day of event coordination needs (posting signage, directing vendors to venues and guests to event sites, greet guests, assist late arrivals as needed).
- Ensures room set up is correct and assist with AV set up if needed.
Garden Events: As part of our programming and planning throughout the year, the Garden schedules special events and activities throughout the year to promote attendance, drive membership, and to celebrate community-recognized holidays and special occasions.
- Day of support – manning information tables and entry/exit points, assistance with vendor check-in, processing guest arrival schedules, ticket collection, expediting guest traffic through facilities and at key points, providing guest information and directions.
- Delivers excellent customer service in all facets of work.
- Ability to multi-task in a fast-paced environment.
- Able to move from department to department and task to task as needed.
- Works well in a diverse team and in a supervised and unsupervised environment.
- Required to have a flexible work schedule and willing and able to work weekends and as needed in evenings for special events.
- Acts as a contact person in case of emergencies and reports situations to appropriate parties, using required reporting procedures, as well as contacting 911 for assistance when needed.
- Handles difficult situations with tact and respect and reports issues to supervisor in a timely manner with accurate details.
- Identifies a situation that requires the attention of a supervisor or leadership team member.
- Presents oneself with a professional and friendly attitude and appearance.
Skills and Abilities
- Possesses excellent communication skills.
- Proficiency or ability to quickly learn POS/ticketing database.
- Ability to efficiently and accurately use membership database.
- Efficient use and navigation of Calendar database.
- Ability to efficiently navigate the Garden’s website.
- Detail-oriented and able to multi-task in a fast-paced potentially noisy environment.
- Proven ability to problem solve in real-time.
- Able to work independently while providing excellent customer service to support departments.
- Bilingual with a preference for conversational fluency in Spanish is helpful.
To apply, please see the full Guest Services Associate – Point of Sale Event Support job description and submit a resume to HR@lewisginter.org.