Job Listing: Guest Services Assistant
Norfolk Botanical Garden - Norfolk, VA
Closes - Open Until Filled
Position Title – Guest Services Assistant
Salary - $10/Hour
Position type: Non-exempt under Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA). This is a seasonal part-time
position that performs frontline visitor services functions by providing outstanding customer
service and conducting Garden tours. Weekend and evening work required.
Description: The Guest Services Assistant is responsible for providing frontline coverage of the
Information Desk and Tollbooth. Shifts are 5-8 hours: fluctuating between 7:30 AM-9:30 PM up
to 4 days a week. This position requires flexible availability. Duties take place inside and
outside, in all weather conditions.
Essential Functions: The primary responsibility is to ensure a quality guest experience by
providing excellent customer service. Duties include but are not limited to: greeting all visitors,
processing sales for admission/class registration/membership, safely operating trams while
providing tours and creating an outstanding guest experience by suggesting how guests can
structure their visit to the Garden. The Guest Services Assistant works with all departments to
ensure visitors have a positive and memorable experience at the Garden. Weekend and evening
shifts are required.
Essential Physical Functions:
• Ability to work inside and outside, in all weather conditions.
• Must be able to work for extended periods in one location, then move periodically and
quickly between Baker Hall Visitors Center and outside locations of Baker Hall and the
entrance toll booth.
• Must be able to lift 20 pounds.
• Periodically, must be able to drive a tram while speaking to conduct a tour, around the
Garden, in order to provide transportation and instructions to guests.
• Ability to drive a golf cart as needed.
• Ability to walk for extended periods, stand for extended periods, step up and down to
enter/exit a tram.
• Ability to sit for extended periods while working with traditional office items, including a
computer, phone/phone system and radio system.
• Ability to speak to large crowds is essential.
Other Requirements: Valid driver’s license and must be at least 18 years old.
Education and Experience: High school diploma or equivalent preferred. Should enjoy
working with people, have excellent customer service skills and be comfortable speaking to large
groups. Previous customer service and cash handling experience preferred. A solid basic
understanding of computers is required.
Daily Job Responsibilities:
• Greet and assist all guests.
• Responsible for learning Altru software required for point of sale transactions as well as
telephone switchboard and garden staff radio.
• Utilize Altru database program to view calendar schedule and be prepared to relay
pertinent information to class participants, members, staff and the general public.
• Operate cash register; responsible for initial money and any money taken in during shift.
• Safely operate and conduct tram tours.
• Implement daily visitor programs (walking tours, educational presentations, etc.).
• Assist with special events and outreaches.
• Additional duties as required.
Reports to: Visitor Services Managers and Director of Member & Guest Experience
Equal Employer Opportunity (EEO) statement: NBG is committed to the principles and
ideals of equal employment opportunities. It is, and shall continue to be, the policy and practice
throughout NBG to foster equal employment opportunity and non-discrimination for applicants,
employees, and volunteers without regard to race, color, sex, religion, national origin, age,
marital status, disability status, gender identity, sexual orientation or other protected status, if
qualified to perform the essential functions of the job with or without reasonable
Download Employment Application and Send resumes to: email@example.com