Job Listing: Graphic Designer
COLONIAL WILLIAMSBURG FOUNDATION - WILLIAMSBURG, VA
Open until filled
Salary commensurate with experience
Parttime 30 hours week
The Graphic Designer will create compelling design for Trend & Tradition, using a refined type sensibility in a deadline-oriented environment. He/she will work closely with an established editorial team, photographers, and staff from other divisions and departments as needed. He/she will work to ensure consistency and quality of design and imagery. This position involves substantial art-direction of photo shoots, including advance preparation and coordination as well as flexibility in schedule. The individual will also assist with book design and other publications as needed.
WORK TO BE PERFORMED
Functioning in a Macintosh environment, the part-time graphic designer:
- Creates compelling pages within the magazine’s established design direction. Designs illustrations, logos and other artwork as needed to support the department and the Foundation.
- Presents Art Director with fresh visual ideas as it applies to image, type, concept and page design.
- Collaborates closely with editors to develop magazine stories through design
- Works with authors, illustrators, photographers, and others to secure appropriate art for books and magazine. Performs image research and acquires permissions when needed.
- Coordinates details and art directs photo shoots as necessary.
- Researches and commissions illustrators.
- Manages special projects as needed.
- Works to ensure quality of magazine and design.
- Assist in design production, as needed.
- Meets production benchmarks and deadlines set by the Production Manager.
- Reviews color and black-and-white proofs for the magazine and checks printing on press if required.
- Maintains awareness of new CWF initiatives while also educating him or her self on all aspects of the Foundation.
- 3+ years’ experience in graphic design (portfolio submission required for consideration)
- Experience producing/directing photo shoots
- Digital color-correction proficiency a plus
- Illustration skills a plus
- Must be equally comfortable in collaborative and independent work. Flexibility is critical, as is proactive problem-solving skills and initiative
- Maintains a good understanding of InDesign, Photoshop, and Illustrator.