Job Listing: Garden Associate
Museum of the Shenandoah Valley - Winchester, VA
Closes - Open until filled.
Position Title – Garden Associate
Salary - $16.35-$17.30/Hour
Job Type - Full-Time
To learn more and apply, click here.
The Museum of the Shenandoah Valley is seeking an enthusiastic professional for the position of Gardener. The Gardener is responsible for maintaining assigned garden areas, developing seasonal and permanent displays and providing assistance in the development of new trails in the natural areas of the site. This is an entry level full-time, salaried position in the Gardens & Grounds department.
The ideal candidate will have the following qualifications and skills:
- Associate’s degree or equivalent in horticulture and one or more years of related work experience
- Basic knowledge of pesticide management, arbor-culture, and turf management
- Basic knowledge of ornamental horticulture in all phases; plant propagation and cultivation
- Basic knowledge of professional landscape and maintenance principles and practices, as well as methods related to conduct of public garden programs
- Skill and ability to effectively use a variety of hand and power tools such as chainsaw, riding and push lawnmower
- Knowledge of safety practices and procedures related to the groundskeeping
- Basic math skills
- Demonstrated ability to work well with the public, volunteers, and MSV colleagues and interact with a diverse group of people
- Excellent organizational skills
- Ability to work a flexible schedule due to maintenance issues or concerns
- Working knowledge of ornamental horticulture in all phases, helpful but not required
- Ability to lift 50 lbs