Job Listing: Gallery Host, PT Weekends
Taubman Museum of Art - Roanoke, VA
Closes - Open until filled.
Position Title – Gallery Host, PT Weekends
Salary - $13.00/Hour
Job Type - Part-Time
For more info and to apply, click here.
Permanent Part time- Friday/Saturday/Sunday
Ensures that visitors to the Taubman Museum of Art have a positive experience while maintaining a safe environment and protecting the Museum’s art collection and loans. This includes answering questions, enforcing rules, looking out for suspicious behavior, providing assistance, and engaging visitors in casual conversations about works of art (training available). This is a part-time position that requires a commitment schedule of Friday, Saturday (9:00 am – 5:00 pm) and Sunday (11:00 am – 5:00 pm) Must be available for all open Museum hours and work special events like First Fridays downtown, weddings, Sidewalk Art Show other events after hours as needed.
Job Duties and Responsibilities:
- Works with and communicates effectively with diverse groups and individuals providing excellent customer service each and every day.
- Warmly greets all visitors, including opening the main entrance for visitors as they enter and exit.
- Supports Museum events and rentals.
- Makes regular rounds through assigned galleries to monitor visitors and the facility, answer questions, enforce rules, and act as an ambassador for the Museum.
- Leads and engages in conversation with visitors about the Museum and its art collection, including special exhibitions. Obtains information from others within the organization, as necessary (training included)
- Sells, collects tickets and welcomes guests at Welcome Desk on 2nd floor
- Monitors visitors’ behavior and reports anything unusual to his/her supervisor.
- Examines visitor packages/bags that may affect the galleries and offers locker options.
- Ensures the security of the art collection by enforcing Museum rules and regulations in public areas.
- Reports inconsistencies or damage immediately and completes incident reports.
- Ensures visitors’ safety in the case of an emergency and completes incident reports.
- Administers exit surveys to visitors when requested.
- Promptly reports hazards and suspicious activity to his/her supervisor.
- Attends training sessions and continues to learn about the collection and exhibitions, safety procedures, and art handling procedures.
- Maintains organization and cleanliness of Visitor Services Information Desk, Atrium, Coatroom, Café area & Atrium Art Space, 2nd floor galleries and resource lounge, and shop area.
- Performs other duties as assigned or required.
Required Education Experience:
High School diploma or equivalent and 1-2 years of customer service experience are required.
Must have a pleasant demeanor and a genuine interest in communication with members of the public and providing assistance to visitors. Knowledge or interest in art is preferred. Must have basic computer skills, technical aptitude is strongly preferred, so as to assist visitors with various interactive technologies.
During Museum hours, Museum Hosts will rotate on a pre-determined schedule to various zones throughout the day. Requires constant standing and walking throughout the day and constant interaction with the public. Will be required to continually search for additional knowledge about the collections and special exhibitions. Must attend weekly training sessions and other sessions as assigned.
Physical Demands and Work Environment:
Must be able to see, hear, and communicate effectively with visitors. Must be able to speak
English clearly, and bi-lingual skills are a plus. Must be able to stand and walk up to eight (8) hour shifts with minimal rest breaks. Must be able to occasionally lift and/or move up to 10 pounds unassisted.
Must have use of hands and fingers to use computers and assist visitors. Must be able to occasionally stoop, crouch, kneel, climb, balance and crawl as needed. Must be able to work in a moderate to high noise level work environment.
Taubman Museum of Art is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status or any other federal, state or local protected class. Taubman Museum of Art is also committed to comply with all fair employment practices regarding citizenship and immigration status.
Taubman Museum of Art is committed to creating a diverse environment
At Taubman Museum of Art we each contribute to inclusion—we all have a role to play. Our culture is the result of our behaviors, our personal commitment, our curiosity, how we collaborate, and the ways that we courageously share our perspectives and encourage others to do the same.
In turn, our inclusive culture inspires us to try new things, speak openly, and be bold. It brings us together in ways that help us stand out. Our inclusive culture empowers all of us to connect, belong, and grow.