Job Listing: Gallery Host
Chrysler Museum of Art - Norfolk, VA
Closes - Open until filled.
Position Title – Gallery Host
Salary - $12.50/Hour
Job Type - Part-Time, Seasonal
For more info and to apply: click here
The Chrysler Museum of Art is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees and building a diverse workforce that is representative of the community we serve.
Gallery Host enhances the visitor experience by creating a welcoming atmosphere and offering excellent customer service while actively protecting the Museum’s collection and maintaining a safe environment. This includes answering questions from guests, engaging visitors in conversation about works of art in the galleries, safeguarding the collection by consistently enforcing Museum policies, and monitoring the facility for suspicious behavior or maintenance concerns.
- Greet all visitors, including opening doors at the main entrance for guests as they enter and exit.
- Engage in conversation with visitors about the Museum and its collections, including the Moses Myers House, Glass Studio, and special exhibitions. Obtain information from others within the organization, as necessary.
- Ensure the security of the collection by enforcing Museum rules and regulations in public areas. Report inconsistencies or damage immediately.
- Make regular rounds through assigned galleries to monitor visitors and the facility, enforce rules, answer questions, provide assistance, and act as an ambassador for the Museum.
- Open and close Museum facilities. Complete opening and closing tasks, including daily checks of Museum facilities and the collection.
- Examine visitor packages/bags and offers coat check or locker options.
- Monitor visitors’ behavior and report anything unusual to a supervisor.
- Sell Museum memberships in all locations.
- Register visitors and members for Museum classes, programs, and events. This includes remaining knowledgeable regarding current offerings.
- Follow cash-handling procedures while processing admissions, class registrations, retail sales, and other transactions.
- Administer exit surveys to visitors as instructed.
- Attend weekly training sessions and continue to learn about the collection and exhibitions.
- Plan and lead tours for visitors at the Museum and Moses Myers House.
- Ensure visitors’ safety in the case of an emergency.
- Promptly report potential hazards, maintenance concerns, and suspicious activity to a supervisor.
- Work in the Museum Shop greeting visitors, answering questions about the merchandise, helping visitors select products, and processing sales.
- Follow inventory control procedures regarding sales, merchandise arrivals, and stock room organization.
- Greet visitors to the Glass Studio, collect waiver forms, enforce safety regulations, and complete injury reports.
- Assist visitors to the Museum’s library with basic research.
- Perform other duties as assigned or required.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- High School diploma or equivalent is required
- 1-2 years of customer service experience
- Must have an engaging demeanor with a genuine interest in communicating with members of the public and providing assistance to visitors.
- Must have basic computer skills
- Must be able to work independently and as part of a team.
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Knowledge or interest in art and art history is strongly preferred.
- Technical aptitude is strongly preferred, to better assist visitors with various interactive technology.
During Museum hours, Gallery Hosts will rotate on a pre-determined schedule to various zones or stations throughout the day. Requires constant standing and walking through assigned zones throughout the day and frequent interactions with the public. Required to seek additional knowledge about our collections and special exhibitions. Must attend weekly training sessions.
Must be able to see, hear, and communicate effectively with visitors. Must be able to stand and walk during up to eleven (11) hour shifts with minimal rest breaks. Must be able to occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds unassisted.