Job Listing: Gallery Host
Chrysler Museum of Art - Norfolk, VA
Closes - Open until filled
Position Title – Gallery Host
Salary - $11.00/hour
Job Type - Part-time
For more info and to apply, click here.
Enhances the visitor experience by creating a welcoming atmosphere and offering excellent customer service while actively protecting the Museum’s collection and maintaining a safe environment. This includes answering questions from guests, engaging visitors in conversation about works of art in the galleries, safeguarding the collection by consistently enforcing Museum policies, and monitoring the facility for suspicious behavior or maintenance concerns.
- Greets all visitors, including opening doors at the main entrance for guests as they enter and exit.
- Engages in conversation with visitors about the Museum and its collections, including the Moses Myers House, Glass Studio, and special exhibitions. Obtains information from others within the organization, as necessary.
- Assures the security of the collection by enforcing Museum rules and regulations in public areas. Reports inconsistencies or damage immediately.
- Makes regular rounds through assigned galleries to monitor visitors and the facility, enforces rules, answers questions, provides assistance, and acts as an ambassador for the Museum.
- Opens and closes Museum facilities. Completes opening and closing tasks, including daily checks of Museum facilities and the collection.
- Examines visitor packages/bags and offers coat check or locker options.
- Monitors visitors’ behavior and reports anything unusual to a supervisor.
- Sells Museum memberships in all locations.
- Registers visitors and members for Museum classes, programs, and events. This includes remaining knowledgeable regarding current offerings.
- Follows cash-handling procedures while processing admissions, class registrations, retail sales, and other transactions.
- Administers exit surveys to visitors as instructed.
- Attends weekly training sessions and continues to learn about the collection and exhibitions.
- Plans and leads tours for visitors at the Museum and Moses Myers House.
- Ensures visitors’ safety in the case of an emergency.
- Promptly reports potential hazards, maintenance concerns, and suspicious activity to a supervisor.
- Works in the Museum Shop greeting visitors, answering questions about the merchandise, helping visitors select products, and processing sales.
- Follows inventory control procedures regarding sales, merchandise arrivals, and stock room organization.
- Greets visitors to the Glass Studio, collects waiver forms, enforces safety regulations, and completes injury reports.
- Assist visitors to the Museum’s library with basic research.
- Performs other duties as assigned or required.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- High School diploma or equivalent is required
- 1-2 years of customer service experience
- Must have an engaging demeanor with a genuine interest in communicating with members of the public and providing assistance to visitors.
- Must have basic computer skills
- Must be able to work independently and as a part of a team
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Knowledge or interest in art and art history is strongly preferred.
- Technical aptitude is strongly preferred, to better assist visitors with various interactive technology.
During Museum hours, Gallery Hosts will rotate on a pre-determined schedule to various zones or stations throughout the day. Requires constant standing and walking through assigned zones throughout the day and frequent interactions with the public. Required to seek additional knowledge about our collections and special exhibitions. Must attend weekly training sessions.
Must be able to see, hear, and communicate effectively with visitors. Must be able to stand and walk during up to eleven (11) hour shifts with minimal rest breaks. Must be able to occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds unassisted.
The Chrysler Museum of Art is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees and building a diverse workforce that is representative of the community we serve.