Job Listing: Financial Administrator/Bookkeeper
Virginia Museum of Transportation - Roanoke, VA
Closes - Open until filled
Position Title – Financial Administrator/Bookkeeper
Salary - $15-$21/hour
Job Type - Part-Time
To learn more and apply, click here.
Full Job Description
Position Title: – Financial Administrator / Bookkeeper
Direct Reports To: Executive Director
Indirect Reports To: Board of Directors, specifically Treasurer
Position Description Summary:
This position is responsible for effectively managing financial tasks for all aspects of the Museum to include all financial accounting (general ledger, accounts payables, receipts processing, payroll, monthly sales tax, monthly admissions tax etc.), financial reporting, budget preparation, audit preparation, staff and Board liaison, and ongoing strategic, procedural and operational processes as it relates to the financial success of the Museum.
Individual will adhere to defined financial policies and procedures and acknowledges the importance of their role in the financial reporting internal controls of the organization to ensure accurate financial reporting and prevent or detect fraudulent activity.
- Create daily transactions in QuickBooks for processing all general ledger functions.
- Process and monitor payables weekly.
- Process and input receipts following month end.
- Prepare and file monthly sales tax and admission tax reports
- Process, monitor and input payroll bimonthly for QB and PMI payroll service
Reporting & Communication
- Prepare financial statements for various time periods and for designated restricted funds.
- Liaise with Staff, Board and outside vendors to ensure all pertinent financial information is received and generated accurately and timely.
- Attend Board, Executive Committee, Finance Committee, Budget, Internal and individual meetings as necessary to ensure financial implications and processes are addressed, monitored and recorded appropriately.
Budget Preparation & Reporting
- Create an annual operating budget in conjunction with Executive Director and Treasurer.
- Create monthly reports monitoring the success of the Museum versus budget expectations.
- Monitor and analyze ongoing expenses.
Audit Preparation and Participation
- Analyze financials and reconcile all accounts for yearend accounting.
- Process and enter all annual bookkeeping entries.
- Liaise with Treasurer, Board, staff and Audit personnel to provide documentation and processes for a successful Audit.
Excursion Service Accounting & Support
- Perform all bookkeeping functions for Excursions segregating all transactions in QB.
- Assist in strategic processes for accounting and museum functions related to Excursions & offsite events.
- Liaise with Volunteers, Treasurer, Board, staff and Audit personnel to monitor, record and report Excursion information.
Related party strategic planning, financial operations planning and accounting
- Maintain financial recordkeeping and perform bookkeeping functions for Restricted Museum assets.
- Assist in strategic processes for accounting and museum functions for Related Party affiliates and organizations.
- Liaise with Director, Treasurer, Board, Related Party Representatives and Audit personnel to monitor, record and report related Party financial operations and reporting.
Supervise others: No
Education Required: Bachelor’s Degree
Experience and/or Training Required:
Nonprofit accounting (including class accounting) and fundraising (3 years), QuickBooks computer application
Skills and knowledge (technical and/or managerial) required:
Knowledge of accounting principles, procedures, software combined with nonprofit people and resource management
Conditions of Employment: Hourly position, flexible schedule, average 16 hours per week. Must be local to Roanoke, VA