Job Listing: Facilities Manager, VLM
Virginia Living Museum - Newport News, VA
Closes - Open until filled.
Position Title – Facilities Manager
Salary - Based on experience.
Job Type - Full-Time
To learn more and apply, click here.
Status: Full Time, Exempt
General Statement of Duties
The Facilities Director is responsible for ensuring the museum is maintaining a clean, safe and enjoyable environment for guests and employees while protecting the assets of the museum. This position recognizes the capacity to achieve greater results by integrating skilled volunteers and leveraging their diverse knowledge and abilities. The Facilities Director reports directly to the Senior Director of Life Support Systems and Construction.
- High school diploma required, Bachelor’s degree preferred. Technical certification preferred.
- 3 to 5 years in management of an industrial, commercial or institutional maintenance department
- Experience in institutional or industrial purchasing procedures and contract negotiations.
- Experience in oversight of all phases of construction projects.
- Must have the ability to read equipment manuals and interpret blueprints.
- Ability to respond to guests and manage staff and volunteers with a professional demeanor.
- Possess exceptional written and oral communication skills, Microsoft Office proficient.
- Creative problem solver with the ability to manage multiple projects.
- Must be able to remain calm, make sound decisions and provide clear direction in crisis situations.
- First Aid/CPR certified or willing to become at museums expense.
- Have the ability to be on-call 24 hours a day.
- Must have a valid driver’s license.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Be a positive, enthusiastic representative of the Virginia Living Museum.
- Represent the museum during state and city emergency planning and preparation meetings.
- Interact with staff, guests and the community
- Enhance the Guest Experience
- Ensures the facilities and grounds are clean and safe for staff and guests, and equipment can be operated safely. This includes maintaining supplies.
- Assists with the installation and removal of exhibits
- Enhance the success of the Facilities Team by providing intentional leadership.
- Direct maintenance projects from purchasing to completion of project
- Direct, evaluate, and schedule all activities of maintenance and custodial staff.
- Strategically manage and utilize volunteers and their applicable skills to strengthen the Museum’s mission and commitment to the community.
- Chairs the Safety Committee
- Protect the assets of the museum.
- Maintain facility and grounds to meet all state and local codes and accrediting agency regulations Association of Zoos & Aquariums (AZA).
- Works with the Senior Director of Animal Welfare and Conservation to prepare scopes of work, solicit bids and evaluate contractors prior to awarding work.
- Coordinate all Museum facility maintenance contracts and schedule their work for pest control, environmental systems, generator, fire & burglary, waste disposal, and elevator control. Monitor performance of all maintenances contractors.
- Emergency Management / Disaster Response: Work with the Senior Director of Animal Welfare and Conservation to direct the efforts staff in the event of an impending natural disaster or post-storm cleanup.
- Responsible for the security of museum and grounds to include responding to after-hours calls for fire or burglary.
- Maintain inventory and distribution of all Museum keys and swipe cards.
- Maintain lighting, tools, hardware, and vehicle maintenance inventories.
- Maintain museum vehicles, keeping them in compliance with state and local safety regulations.
- Other duties as assigned
Essential Job Requirements
- Ability to work evenings/weekends and holidays.
- Physical requirements include medium work, exerting up to 50 pounds of force occasionally, and/or up to 30 pounds of force frequently, and/or up to 10 pounds of force constantly to move objects.
- Must be able stand for extended periods of time and move about on foot to accomplish tasks.
- Must be able to stoop, kneel, crouch, crawl, reach, push, pull, lift, grasp, feel, and utilize
- Must have close visual acuity to operate a motor vehicle and perform activities such as: preparing
and analyzing data, transcribing, viewing a computer, and reading.
- Must be comfortable climbing a ladder and working from heights.
- Be comfortable working with and from watercraft.
- Must be able to pick up/remove bodily waste.
Supervision Exercised: Maintenance and Custodial Staff
This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by this employee. The Facilities Manager will be required to follow any other instructions and to perform any other related duties as assigned by the appropriate Supervisor/Director. The Virginia Living Museum reserves the right to update, revise or change the job description and related duties at any time.
Qualified applicants please submit a VLM application, cover letter, resume and references. No phone calls, please.