As a member of the Art Museums’ design and production team the Technician, exercising high levels of skill, will fabricate, finish, install and maintain exhibition environments and display components with extreme precision according to written, drawn and oral specifications.
WORK TO BE PERFORMED:
- Fabricate, assemble, finish and install gallery environments, temporary walls and trim in a variety of materials, including lumber, wood panels, composite panels, acrylic and PVC, using best practices and processes in a safe manner.
- Fabricate, assemble, finish and install gallery exhibition components, display decks, display cases, display panels and display case interiors in a variety of materials, i.e. MDO, MDF, PVC, Plexiglas, Dibond and others, using best practices and processes in a safe manner.
- Fabricate, assemble and finish metal exhibition components in brass, aluminum, and steel, using best metalsmith practices and processes in a safe manner.
- Prepare display environments, components and assembled casework for specified finish applications using best practices in a safe manner.
- Produce and finish fabric-wrapped display case blocks, wedges, risers, panels and interiors.
- Fabricate and install custom LED lighting components in display cases.
- Relamp the gallery’s ceiling lighting track fixtures.
- Load, unload, transport and restock materials and supplies deliveries and exhibition components.
- Finish, laminate, mount, trim and install graphics throughout the museums.
- Maintain, repair and replace the existing exhibition components and technology features.
- Install, uninstall, maintain, repair and store the museum’s seasonal interior decorations, including the Christmas tree(s) and Hanukkah display.
- Clean and maintain the work areas, workspaces and tools, and transport the workshop and demolition rubbish to disposal and recycling facilities using the museum vehicles.
- Maintain the museums’ onsite exhibition storage spaces and the off-site warehouse and its industrial truck (forklift).
Project supervision will be from the Manager, Museum Design while overall supervision will be from the Director, Museum Design and Operations.