Job Listing: Executive Director Museum of Culpeper History
The Museum of Culpeper History is hiring an Executive Director!
Closes: February 26
Title: Executive Director
Classification: Full-Time, Exempt
Schedule: Monday-Friday (9am-5pm). Some weekends and evenings required.
Reports to: Board of Directors
Location: 113 S. Commerce Street, Culpeper, Virginia 22701
The Museum of Culpeper History is a community history museum whose mission is to collect, preserve, interpret and promote the history of Culpeper, Virginia by engaging diverse audiences and educating visitors. The Museum is located in the historic train depot in downtown Culpeper and serves as the primary historical attraction in the county. The Executive Director works closely with the Board of Directors and museum staff to advance the mission of the Museum. The Executive Director is primarily responsible for directing the daily management and operations of the museum, designing and developing programs and exhibits, and overseeing fundraising activities as well as the management of collections and finances.
- Provide leadership and oversight to all aspects of daily operations and assure the facility is well-maintained and the collections and exhibits are interpreted and preserved to the highest standard. Work with staff, volunteers and interns while assisting donors, visitors, and researchers.
- Prepare a monthly report for the Board of Directors (BOD) to include attendance and shop sales, membership and donation data, upcoming events, and recent exhibit and collection updates. Engage board members through greater volunteer opportunities, philanthropy, event participation, and other areas utilizing member skills and knowledge. Work closely with BOD to develop, refine and implement policies, budgets, fundraising campaigns, and strategic plans.
- Oversee the financial management of museum accounts and complete payroll in coordination with contract bookkeeper. Prepare an annual budget for approval by the BOD and work with BOD members to increase revenue and manage a balanced budget.
- Lead and administer fundraising campaigns, membership appeal, Heritage Cabinet endowment and Legacy giving programs. Prepare donation acknowledgements and maintain a donor and membership database.
- Research, write, and appeal for annual grants from the Town of Culpeper and Culpeper County. Seek out and write grant applications from potential grant-giving foundations and other sources.
- Plan, coordinate and execute fundraising and special events for members, donors and the community in the Museum and in other locations
- Research and develop new exhibitions and regularly rotate exhibits throughout the year. Assure that all exhibitions are adequately labeled and that displayed objects are in excellent condition.
- Maintain existing collections of objects, photographs, and archival materials as well as those objects on loan to the MCH. Properly store and exhibit objects according to best practices. Seek out new acquisitions and loans. Carefully review collections for deaccession material.
- Work with the Education Coordinator to develop and market engaging in-house and outreach programs and activities and work closely with local public and private schools, home-school groups, and camps.
- Work with the Education Coordinator to build upon the existing volunteer program by improving the incentives provided, developing regular volunteer events, and creating a “family-friendly” atmosphere that is welcoming to new volunteers and keeps our volunteer core engaged.
- Enhance the community visibility through the marketing of museum events by developing social media posts, maintaining the website, regularly sending e-mail updates, building relationships with local news outlets and garnering routine coverage, and develop mailings for special events.
- Purchase and discover new shop inventory to increase revenue and walk-in visitation and work with Shop Manager to manage shop appearance, inventory, and presentation.
- Develop greater community relations with local organizations through partnerships and regular communications with (for example) local governance, Department of Tourism, Culpeper Library, Friends of Cedar Mountain Battlefield, Brandy Station Battlefield Association, Friends of Culpeper Battlefields, Windmore Foundation, Culpeper Chamber of Commerce, Culpeper Renaissance Inc., and other local and state entities which may impact the MCH.
- All other duties required to operate an efficient and well-managed museum and 501c3 organization.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s degree is required. An advanced degree is preferred.
- 5+ years of museum or historic site experience with progressive leadership responsibility and staff supervision is preferred.
- Professional experience with non-profit, business, or museum management with expertise in fundraising, relationship building, and collections management.
- Present a professional appearance, attitude, and demeanor at all times.
- Excellent interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills.
- Demonstrate effective organizational and time management skills with the ability to prioritize and multi-task efficiently.
- Capable of working independently and leading a team with wide-ranging skill sets.
- Be creative, highly motivated, outgoing, and detail oriented with a strong work ethic.
- Demonstrate the ability to handle sensitive situations with discretion.
- Strong computer skills with a working knowledge of PastPerfect, Quickbooks, Microsoft Office, and various social media platforms.
- Available to work weekends and evenings as needed.
- Knowledge of Virginia history and Culpeper, Virginia a plus.
- Strength and mobility to perform all duties, including lifting objects, stooping, bending, climbing ladders and working in tiring and occasional uncomfortable positions.
- Valid driver’s license.
Salary range of $40,000 - $50,000, commensurate with experience. Benefits include paid holidays and paid leave.
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org with resume, cover letter, and the names of two references. Please include ‘EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR’ in the subject line. No phone calls please. Deadline for applications is February 26, 2021.
Due to the ongoing public health emergency all staff are required to adhere to specific guidelines for workplace, employee, and visitor health and safety.
he Museum of Culpeper History is an Equal Opportunity Employer.