Job Listing: Environmental Educator
MAYMONT - RICHMOND, VA
Open until filled
In conjunction other members of the Maymont team, implement a wide variety of environmental education programs by providing formal and informal guest experiences primarily at the Robins Nature and Visitors Center, but also throughout the Maymont grounds.
- Assist in the development and implementation of an extensive annual schedule of environmental education programs, including (but not limited to) taking reservations, properly handling fee payments and evaluating program success
- Assist in the recruitment, training, and supervision of volunteers and interns and coordinate resources for all education programs, birthday parties, and outreach programs to meet goals
- Participate in the implementation of educational guest experiences in the Nature Center gallery
- Participate in the creation of articles and informational text for school programs, educational graphics, web site copy, summer camp materials and other events as needed
- Provide proper animal care to education animals under the direction of the Habitats Team Managers
- Tabulate and report program attendance and visitation numbers for annual and other reports
- May represent the education department at various institutional meetings
- Work effectively with other departments, especially with the Animal Department, as many areas of operations will overlap
- Represent Maymont at public speaking engagements and events as requested
- Other duties as assigned
- Strong speaking, writing and organizational skills
- Ability to understand and work within budget
- Experience or a willingness to learn handling tame domestic or exotic animals including reptiles
- Entrepreneurial spirit to seek and maintain fee-based programs.
- Computer literate
Education & Experience:
- Extensive animal care and handling experience is preferred
- Degree in environmental education or related field with one year experience in environmental education, natural history interpretation or closely related discipline.
- A well-rounded basic knowledge of Virginia wildlife, habitats and other environmental topics is also required
- Valid VA Driver’s License required
- Ability to pass scheduled Basic First Aid and CPR training
- Frequent sitting, standing and walking for extended periods, frequent climbing, bending, stooping and lifting up to 50 lbs.
- Ability to safely operate a motorized vehicle, a camera, and small hand tools
- Ability to work inside and outside in all weather conditions
- Specific vision abilities required by the job include close vision, distance vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
All requirements are subject to possible modification to reasonably accommodate individuals with disabilities.
Maymont Foundation is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
Job Type: Full-time
- Driver's License (Required)