Job Listing: Development Associate
National Sporting Library & Museum, Middleburg, VA
The National Sporting Library & Museum (NSLM) in Middleburg, Virginia seeks a Development Associate. This position focuses on the NSLM’s membership program, oversees the organization’s CRM database, assists with planning and execution of special events, and oversees digital communication through eblasts and social media. The Development Associate will be detail-oriented with the ability to meet deadlines, have excellent computer skills, and be a strong writer.
- Coordinate timely mailing of membership renewal reminders and thank you letters for all donations
- Maintain donor database through data entry for membership renewals, donations, ticket purchases, event attendance, etc.
- Write solicitation and thank you letters, newsletter articles, materials for sponsorship solicitations, etc. as directed by the Associate Director for Development
- Provide mailing lists to Marketing Manager for newsletters, event invitations, etc.
- Provide member email addresses for MailChimp
- Assist with donor pipeline management
- Monthly updates to member listing on NSLM website
- Assist with gift membership program
- Weekly updates to membership list provided for Front Desk Staff
- Assist with Annual Appeal Campaign
- Research prospects for membership and sponsorship
- Contact members to ensure their information is up-to-date
- Assist with tax acknowledgement letters
- Work collegially with other NSLM staff members to benefit programs to support NSLM membership
- Provide support for Corporate Membership Campaign
- Oversee SITK (Stay in the Know) cards
- Utilize all NSLM events to raise awareness of the membership program and increase member numbers
- Provide assistance for Open Late concert series, donor dinners, and exhibition opening receptions
- Coordinate food and beverages for all exhibition openings and educational programs (Coffee with the Curator, lecture receptions, etc.)
- Assist with Polo Classic
- Coordinate online ticket sales through database
- Coordinate parking pass and ticket mailings
- Coordinate event volunteers
- Coordinate all kitchen needs (tablecloths, liquor cabinet, plastic ware, etc.)
Digital Marketing (20%)
- Coordinate all email communications from organization, to include bi-monthly eblasts about upcoming events and programs, Polo event sales promotion, press releases, etc.
- Oversee NSLM social media channels, esp. Facebook and Instagram, and use these to promote the organization, exhibitions, and all special events and educational programs
- Assist Marketing Manager with adding special events and programs to NSLM’s website
- Collect mail from Post Office daily
- Timely return of emails and phone calls
- Proofread materials including Newsletter, donor listings, invitations, brochures, catalogues, wall label text, etc.
Work schedule: 9:00am to 5:00pm, Monday through Friday. Additional hours will depend upon events scheduled. Rotating weekend work schedule (on average, 6 weekends per year).
- 1-2 years work experience
- Associate’s degree
- Excellent computer skills, including expertise in email, calendaring, Microsoft Office Suite (esp. Excel), mail merge, picot tables, and Google Docs
- Experience with social media (esp. Facebook and Instagram) and digital communication tools (NSLM uses MailChimp)
- Detail oriented with ability to work independently with multiple priorities and deadlines
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Well versed in phone etiquette
- Bachelor’s degree in history, art history, museum studies, or a related subject area
- 3+ years experience in a customer/donor facing role
- Experience in non-profit development, esp. at an art museum
- CRM database experience (NSLM uses eTapestry)
- Experience with CMS systems (NSLM uses Expression Engine)
- Knowledge of Abode Creative Suite
Must be able to perform the duties of the position, including the ability to stand and sit for extended periods of time, and to lift up to 30 pounds
$38,000 to $43,000 annual salary
50% employer paid health insurance
IRA retirement plan with 3% match
10 days vacation, 7 days sick leave annually
To apply, send resume, cover letter, three references, and writing sample to email@example.com. For full consideration, apply by April 21, 2019. No phone calls please.