Job Listing: Director of Food Services and Special Events
Virginia Museum of Fine Arts - Richmond, VA
Closes - 10/18/2021
Position Title – Director of Food Services and Special Events
Salary - $70,500-$72,000/Annually
Job Type - Full-Time
For more info and to apply, click here.
The Virginia Museum of Fine Arts (VMFA) invites applications for the role of Director of Food Services and Special Events.
This classified, exempt position offers Commonwealth of Virginia employee benefits such as 12 paid holidays, health benefits and more.
The Director of Food Services and Special Events will serve as the primary leader of the Food Services and Special Events department at the Virginia Museum of Fine Arts, which consists of front of house operations and events management. The Director will work alongside the Culinary Director and Senior Executive Chef to support the tourism and cultural enrichment goals of the Commonwealth of Virginia, as well as the strategic plan set forth by VMFA. In alignment with the strategic plan, the mission of the Food Services and Special Events operation at VMFA is to delight and engage visitors by offering high quality food and event experiences within a cultural arts context, achieved with efficient and effective direct management of Food Services and Special Events.
- Serving as the front of house leader for Amuse Restaurant, Best Café, and Special Events at the museum, including ABC management, contract management, budgeting and expense tracking, and quality assurance for hospitality experience.
- Managing front of house food services staff, including recruitment, retention, training, development, communication of information, and performance management.
- Enforcing an exceptionally high standard of cleanliness and sanitation in the restaurants and event spaces.
- Efficiently managing the front-of-house operational aspects of the food service and special event operation, such as maintenance of event fixtures and accessories, front of house equipment repairs, management of POS systems and other software, cost of goods sold, budgeting, financial reporting, inventories, vendor relationships, and ordering.
- Extensive practical, demonstrated, expert-level experience with the management of a large-scale front-of-house food service operation.
- Expert knowledge of best practices for creating high-quality guest experiences in food service operations and special events.
- Demonstrated experience managing a food service operation of 50+ staff members.
- Strong leadership and communication skills (both written and verbal), including ability to collaborate with internal museum stakeholders in other departments.
- Computer literacy, including skill with Microsoft Excel, Microsoft Word, Google Sheets, Google Docs, and restaurant industry software systems.
- Extensive knowledge of sanitation, health, and safety regulations; ServSafe certification or similar required.
- Ability to document, implement and enforce departmental policies and effectively manage a large, diverse staff in a fast-paced environment while exhibiting a high level of professionalism.
- Demonstrated experience managing food costs, budgeting, inventories, vendor relationships, and ordering.
- Expert level experience with financial processes, analysis, and reporting, including COGS and P&L.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule, including nights, weekends and holidays.
- 10 years management experience in a food service operation.
- Experience managing multiple profit centers/restaurants concurrently.
- Experience managing a $5 million+ operation.
- Education, professional development, or certifications in leadership, diversity and inclusion, culinary arts, and/or other relevant skills.
- Experience working in state government, non-profits, or cultural institutions.
- Awareness of or ability to learn best practices related to preservation of art in the context of food preparation and operations (i.e. following and upholding conservation standards during events in or near gallery spaces).
All staff (state and foundation), volunteers, and contractors at VMFA must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19.
Please submit three (3) references. Provide full name, phone number and email address. References may be attached in a separate document in the “other” field in the portal; or they may be included with the resume or cover letter.
Please contact the HR office at email@example.com if you need assistance.
VMFA is an EEO/AA and Virginia Values Veterans (V3) Certified Employer.