Job Listing: Digital Outreach Educator
VIRGINIA MUSEUM OF HISTORY AND CULTURE - RICHMOND, VA
Open until filled
Salary: Commensurate with experience
Position Announcement – Digital Outreach Educator (part-time)
Position: The Virginia Museum of History & Culture (VMHC) seeks a qualified candidate for the position of Digital Outreach Educator to deliver educational programs via HistoryConnects, the VMHC’s digital learning initiative. HistoryConnects distance learning programs share the resources of the VMHC with audiences in schools and other organizations worldwide. These programs are informative, engaging, and bring history to life while reinforcing the importance of primary-source learning and historical inquiry.
The Digital Outreach Educator is a part-time hourly position that will average 20 – 25 hours per week. The workload will be heaviest in the fall (October through December) and spring (February through May). Occasional evening and weekend work is required.
Qualifications: The ideal candidate will:
• Be comfortable working on-camera with groups of various ages and able to apply age-appropriate interpretive techniques.
• Be able to address audiences for 60-90 minutes.
• Have excellent organizational and research skills.
• Possess an understanding of basic computer technology (Microsoft Office Suite, Google Suite, Skype).
• Possess a knowledge of American and Virginia history
• Performs other duties as assigned
• Ability to work well with students/children
• Ability to interpret content for visitors in a museum exhibition
• Ability to use primary sources in research
• Ability to deliver interpretive programs either in-person or on-camera, especially to student groups, is preferred.
Education & Experience: Bachelor’s degree from an accredited four-year college or university, BA in History or related discipline preferred; and an authentic interest in the mission and work of the VMHC.
The Virginia Museum of History & Culture is owned and operated by the Virginia Historical Society — a private, non-profit organization established in 1831. The historical society is the oldest cultural organization in Virginia, and one of the oldest and most distinguished history organizations in the nation. For use in its state history museum and its renowned research library, the historical society cares for a collection of nearly nine million items representing the ever-evolving story of Virginia. The Virginia Museum of History & Culture is an Equal Opportunity Employer.