Job Listing: Development Director
NAUTICUS, NORFOLK, VA
Job Title – Director of Development
The Director of Development serves as the fundraising leader for Nauticus and plays a highly visible role in raising dollars. This position is responsible for creating, implementing and managing all of Nauticus’ fundraising and membership activities. In partnership with the Executive Director and Board of Directors, the Director of Development will lead the effort to position Nauticus as a philanthropic destination with current and past supporters, community leaders and prospective donors. The Director of Development must build donor confidence in Nauticus’ plans in an effort to secure major gifts and increase the amount raised annually. This position will also oversee the management and execution of a proposed campaign effort, working in close conjunction with the Executive Director, board, volunteers and campaign counsel.
This position will report to the Executive Director and serve on internal leadership teams as needed.
All applications may be sent to Angela.email@example.com
- Successfully manage a portfolio of current and prospective donors. Identify, cultivate, solicit and steward major gift donors and prospects for both capital campaign and annual support. Conduct two to four in-person cultivation and solicitation visits per week. Engage the Executive Director and Board of Directors by regularly involving them in the fundraising cycle. (60%)
- Manage department staff responsible for annual giving, fundraising events, membership and data management. Set specific, measurable goals for fundraising staff and metrics to track progress. (25%)
- Oversee grant proposal submissions and grant reporting. (10%)
- Prepare a comprehensive annual development plan for Nauticus’ fundraising activities to support the short- and long-term philanthropic needs of the organization. Create departmental budget, ensuring alignment with strategies and tactics outlined in development plan. (5%)
KNOWLEDGE & EXPERTISE
- 5+ years of experience and documented success in major gift fundraising
- Leadership experience with demonstrated history managing direct reports
- Demonstrated experience in building strong relationships with major gift donors
- Demonstrated experience managing and executing capital campaigns
- Working knowledge of fundraising software, Excel, Word, social media platforms and other industry-specific tools
- Demonstrated commitment to the Foundation’s mission and local maritime community.
SKILLS & ABILITIES
- Excellent written and verbal communication and presentation skills.
- Ability to think strategically and creatively about opportunities to raise funds, manage competing priorities and work well with others
- Demonstrated ability to build deep, productive relationships and strongly influence internal and external stakeholders at all levels
- Demonstrated ability to enhance community engagement and strengthen Nauticus’ visibility
- Strong organizational and time management skills with exceptional attention to detail
- Ability to understand the needs and challenges of others
- Demonstrated ability to manage non-profit financials
- This is an office- based position with minimal physical requirements such (ability to lift 25lbs).
- Occasional nights, weekends and holiday work might be required.
QUALIFICATIONS & EXPERIENCE
A Bachelor’s degree with 5+ years of development experience required.
FLSA status: This is an exempt position
Disclaimer: This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of all activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee. From time to time, the supervisor will ask job holder to perform additional duties related to the completion of the work.